Considering a Droid...currently have a Blackberry Pearl

99LS1SS

Reaction score
Like the title says, I have a Blackberry Pearl and I really like the email/text aspect of it but, I really dislike the internet capabilities that is has. Has anyone gone from a Blackberry, that liked the Blackberry email package, to the Droid and been happy? I'm just learning about the Droid and I'm ready for a new phone so I'm trying to make an informed decision. Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
Came from a Pearl myself. While I did like the email on the Blackberry, the fact that my personal email was a Google email address made it an easy switch. The Gmail app on the Droid gets the job done, and the larger screen makes reading emails (especially formatted ones) much more pleasant. I setup Touchdown for my corporate exchange email and it works great!

I do somewhat miss SureType as I had gotten very used to it, but my full Qwerty speed is improving day-by-day.

The Droid is a completely different experience from a Pearl, but in reality, so much better. I can actually "surf the internet" on my phone now, which as you know with a Pearl is about impossible.

There are some apps I miss, but so far haven't found anything I couldn't replace in some form. Also the fact that I can install more than 3 apps without running out of memory is great!

It's hard for me to imagine going back to a Pearl. The trackball feels very antiquated now.

Edit: forgot to mention I typed this all on my Droid. :)

OP

99LS1SS

Reaction score
Thank you GolfProRM. That has eased my mind a little. How do you like the email package? I have two email accounts that I check frequently.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
Gmail push mail works very well - I think it's at least as good as Blackberry Push. The only quirk to the Gmail app is that there's no way to get one unified inbox with all your mail (unless you have one account forward to the other). It's not terribly difficult to switch accounts though.

I've never used the Pop/IMAP email application, so I can't speak to its quality.

JabbaJon

Reaction score
I also changed from a bberry as well as my wife and the Gmail account is just what i was looking for. I have three email accounts, with all being dumped into my gmail account and am able to sync my calendar with my wife and also my contacts. This means that we always have the same calendar info and contacts on our phone. This rocks for being able know what and when something is going on. As I get more calendars setup for personal stuff and get more friends on gmail, i will be able to share schedules with friends as well. If they offered me a blackberry now, I would have to runaway with my droid.

If you are still undecided, go get it, you won't regret it.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I also had a Pearl and really liked it's capabilities. Initially, I had a bit of a weight/size issue as the Droid is bigger/heavier/bulkier than the slim Pearl. However..that being said..have the Droid now and (hands down) it does SO much more than the Pearl! :) The browser beats the Pearl by a mile and the UI is very easy to comprehend. I have 5 email accounts set up on the Droid (3 Gmail, Mac.com, and Ymail). Of the 3 Ymail is the most inconsistent with the syncing, but that's supposed to be fixed with the December 11 OTA update. The other 4 work seamlessly.

And...after having the Droid for a month now, I don't even notice the weight/size issue anymore... I haven't regretted giving up the Pearl at all. :D

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I came from the Storm. As far as email goes. No one beats BB! Having said that. Here's how I got it set up and usable. I had a gmail account already. So I went into my home email account set up. Forwarded all email to my gmail account and left a copy on the server to pull down to my outlook at home later. Now my home email is pushed. I used imap to setup with work. Since I don't use their calender I didn't need exchange. It has been working very good so far. Yesterday I got a email on my Droid before my outlook at the office.

Everything else about the Droid beats BB by a mile. You won't regret getting this device

PhDCow

Reaction score
I actually bought the BB Curve on Black Friday. My first experience with a smartphone and I loved the experience, but not the BB. The keyboard killed it for me. Switched to the Droid on Monday and I'm in love. Before switching to the smartphone, I used an EnV Touch and the Droid just blows it away!