Pearl to Eris Conversion

besiderself

Reaction score
Hello!

My story is pretty simple...I'm a widowed, single mom trying to go to school and work at the same time. A few years ago I was an Alltel customer and decided to pick up a blackberry Pearl to help me with keeping in communication with my children still at home and also work and school. I was very disappointed in the documentation for the berry, but once I learned my way around it by joining another forum like this one, I loved it.

When Alltel sold out to Verizon, I was bummed. But the good news is that Verizon has actually kept the higher standard of service I had learned to expect from Alltel in this area. When I went into the local Verizon store recently, the salesman mentioned the sweet deal Verizon was offering to get Alltel devices switched to Verizon devices, AND he couldn't help but tell me about the Eris.

I went home to do some research, and at first the reviews I read did not encourage me to look into the Eris any more. I had occasion to visit the store again, though, and the same salesman mentioned it again...so I played with the display and then went home to more research. This time, all the reviews were stellar...and the deal was very, very sweet. My old Pearl still works, but I knew it was only a matter of time before it quit working so great on the Verizon towers, and there would be no updates...

So I am now a proud owner of a Verizon Eris. So far, I love it. I was really afraid I wouldn't be able to type on the touchscreen keyboard, but I am learning fast! I actually like the vertical, smaller keyboard better than the horizontal, larger one.

I'm used to being able to customize a lot of things, such as notification sounds, so I am coming here to learn more about how to use this nice piece of technology.

besiderself

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hello!

My story is pretty simple...I'm a widowed, single mom trying to go to school and work at the same time. A few years ago I was an Alltel customer and decided to pick up a blackberry Pearl to help me with keeping in communication with my children still at home and also work and school. I was very disappointed in the documentation for the berry, but once I learned my way around it by joining another forum like this one, I loved it.

When Alltel sold out to Verizon, I was bummed. But the good news is that Verizon has actually kept the higher standard of service I had learned to expect from Alltel in this area. When I went into the local Verizon store recently, the salesman mentioned the sweet deal Verizon was offering to get Alltel devices switched to Verizon devices, AND he couldn't help but tell me about the Eris.

I went home to do some research, and at first the reviews I read did not encourage me to look into the Eris any more. I had occasion to visit the store again, though, and the same salesman mentioned it again...so I played with the display and then went home to more research. This time, all the reviews were stellar...and the deal was very, very sweet. My old Pearl still works, but I knew it was only a matter of time before it quit working so great on the Verizon towers, and there would be no updates...

So I am now a proud owner of a Verizon Eris. So far, I love it. I was really afraid I wouldn't be able to type on the touchscreen keyboard, but I am learning fast! I actually like the vertical, smaller keyboard better than the horizontal, larger one.

I'm used to being able to customize a lot of things, such as notification sounds, so I am coming here to learn more about how to use this nice piece of technology.

besiderself

Welcome, besiderself! You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! The possibilities are endless for customization for that Eris. So read, read, and read some more. You'll be amazed at how much you can teach yourself by reading the threads here in the forum! Enjoy that new toy and try to remember to eat and sleep every now and then!
HTC Droid Eris - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum :welcome:

JerzyGirl

Reaction score
this is where i learned everything about my droid..i am so not tech savvy..but this forum has all the info you could possibly need...

Best of luck with your phone, and sorry for you loss..

Fraxinus

Reaction score
I'm used to being able to customize a lot of things, such as notification sounds...

Welcome to the forum! :) I hate to spew tired, Apple cliches, but "there's an app for that". Check out "missed call" on the market - it won't give you *all* the options you're used to from your Blackberry, but it gives you options for customizing many of your notifications, setting repeats, etc. I came from a Blackberry Curve myself and I absolutely have not looked back. There are a few things that make a BB superior, but there aren't many!

OP
B

besiderself

Reaction score
thanks!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! I find myself hardly looking back to my BB.

Here is a list of questions I am looking to find answers for on the forum. I'd appreciate links to any posts of interest:

What is "root" and why might I want to do that to my Eris?

How come my Zedge ringtones show up but don't play when set to notifications?

Are there animated themes/backgrounds for Eris--I loved the animated themes for my BB; hope I won't have to give that up.

I've already discovered here the answers to how to find a good podcast program and where to download the manual (VERY helpful).

Thanks again!

besiderself

Fraxinus

Reaction score
What is "root" and why might I want to do that to my Eris?

There is a lot of information on this but it can be a little scattered. Check out the hacking section of the forum, and start with this sticky: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant here. If you're talking custom ringtones that you've added, the easiest way is to create a folder on your SD card like so: /Media/Audio/Ringtones (or Notifications; Alarms; MP3s; etc.). The phone will automatically look for ringtones alarms, etc. in the corresponding directory.

Are there animated themes/backgrounds for Eris--I loved the animated themes for my BB; hope I won't have to give that up.

If you're talking live wallpapers it's possible but will probably require root access.

OP
B

besiderself

Reaction score

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant here. If you're talking custom ringtones that you've added, the easiest way is to create a folder on your SD card like so: /Media/Audio/Ringtones (or Notifications; Alarms; MP3s; etc.). The phone will automatically look for ringtones alarms, etc. in the corresponding directory.

What I mean is that Zedge is a great ringtone site. I was happy to find it on the applications list, and downloaded it. So I dl'ed some sounds from Zedge after installing the app. Now when I go to set my notifications (specifically, in this instance, sms tones) and click on the "choose sound" option, it asks if I want to do that through the droid activity or through Zedge. I choose Zedge, it brings up a list of my sounds, I choose one, choose OK, and back out...but nothing changes.

Sorry about asking about "root". You know...the admins could fix that. They could make "root" show up as a link every time it is typed--and that link could go to a definition or to a thread...haha.

"Live wallpapers"...ah. So that's what they are called in droid country. Thanks...I'll look into that.

besiderself