Connecting to computer/Removing Safely

defensefirst

Reaction score
When I connect my new Thunderbolt to my computer and select Disc Drive on the phone, many things pop up:

one asks to look for driver software which I try to download but it asks for a disc, which I was not given

one says import media files and allows me to choose Removable Disc (F:) or CD Drive (G:) Verizon Mobile

one says Autoplay involving adding media to the Removable Disc (F:)

My questions are: 1) is it necessary for me to take action on any of these screens to add music/videos/photos to my phone? If so, where should I add them?

2) Which drive adds files to my phone itself and which adds to the 32 gig card they provided me?

3)How do I remove the phone safely? In the Safely Remove Hardware screen there are 3 options ( HTC Android Phone USB Device (G:), Generic Volume (F:), and HTC Android Phone USB device), none of which seem to work even when no programs are open..

Sorry for all the questions, I am not very savvy

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Autoplay is what you want. You'll see an option that says "Open folder to view files", this will open to the root of your sd card. You'll need folders there for music, etc.

This thread has been Thunder struck!

jeffly777

Reaction score
Correct. The 32 gig card that came with the phone is the only place where you can move data straight from the computer. Set the device to "mount as disk drive" and then select "open folder to view files" on the computer when the window pops up.

Unless you're using HTC sync or ADB you really don't need to worry about drivers. The computer will be able to access storage just fine.

Thunderstruck

jeffly777

Reaction score
Also, on disconnecting it, unless there's an active transfer in progress you can just unplug the phone without worry. If you want to be extra careful you can set the phone from "mount as disk drive" to "charge only" before you unplug it to unmount the SD card from the computer.

Thunderstruck

OP
D

defensefirst

Reaction score
Destination Folder Access Denied

Thanks guys, I clicked "Open Folder to View Files" but when I tried to create a new folder for music it said "Destination Folder Access Denied...You need to confirm this operation." Naturally I clicked continue but it keeps returning me to the same window. Any ideas?

And thank you for the advice on disconnecting from the computer.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are you signed in as an administrator on your pc? Of course, you could always make them on the phone directly with any file manager.

This thread has been Thunder struck!

jeffly777

Reaction score
Agreed. Did you change the phone setting to "mount as disk drive"? If so, the only thing I can think of is admin permissions on your computer. When you're mounted on the pc through usb you should have full permissions to add folders

Thunderstruck