Connecting Razr Maxx to Win 7

soops

Reaction score
Odd - on the original droid I can connect to either win xp or win 7 machines & never have an issue. Just trying to connect the Maxx to pc running win 7, no notification, pc didn't even show anything. Went to setting>applications>developments>tried checking on or off usb debugging option. Still no dice.

On moto website, I found the following guidelines under how to transfer files to/from droid razr maxx for win 7:
1. Connect the supplied USB cable into your device, then into your computer. Please ensure your device is powered on and unlocked.
2. When you plug in the device for the first time, the PC will ask to install drivers, click OK to continue. (If your device is not being recognized you may need to update your drivers HERE )
3. Go to Notifications (by touching the notifications bar at the top of the phone's screen and dragging it down)
4. Touch the “USB connection” notification
5. Touch USB Mass Storage. Computer will recognize handset as an external drive.

I tried downloading & running the latest driver on step 2 but still nothing happened. Has anyone run into the same problem & found a solution? Thanks.

SallyC

Reaction score
First be sure you are using the OEM USB cable that came with the phone. Be sure you don't use a hub but plug it directly into the computer. Also use a different port than whatever one you used previously. Reboot your computer and then plug it in again.

Now go to your Windows menu and click on Computer. Is it showing up there? If so, you may need to go to Control Panel and adjust your Auto Play settings. It's a bit confusing because mine shows a device for my iPod but for my phone I think it's just looking at Media settings for Pictures and Audio. My Pictures are set to open Picasa and my Audio are to unspecified but if you've set it to take no action for those that might be why you're getting no popup.

If it's not showing up as drive on your Computer listings (under Devices with Removable Storage) go to Control Panel and select Device Manager and then go to Disk Drives and click the triangle to open up your drives. Do you see something like Motorola XT912 USB Device? Or it's possible it will say Unknown Device. If it has a yellow exclamation symbol then delete it and reboot. See if it reappears without the exclamation point. If it's still not work (with or without the !) right click on it and choose Update Driver Software.

Hopefully this will help. If not, I'm not sure what to do next except maybe call customer support.

MMBrown26

Reaction score
I have had exactly the same problem, repeatedly.

I have experienced exactly the same issue that you described accurately here. I even tried to remove and reinstall the software, tried installing the driver to another computer (laptop) running Window 7, hoping that I'd somehow be able to access the phone's microsd card via USB rather than having to open the case, remove the card, then view its contents with a microsd card reader. Alas, I ended up having to use a separate reader to add music to my card as the phone's drive(s) never show up via usb connection.

Has anyone had success with this process? And what the heck? My last phone, Droid X, connected perfectly every time.

Thank you.

Odd - on the original droid I can connect to either win xp or win 7 machines & never have an issue. Just trying to connect the Maxx to pc running win 7, no notification, pc didn't even show anything. Went to setting>applications>developments>tried checking on or off usb debugging option. Still no dice.

On moto website, I found the following guidelines under how to transfer files to/from droid razr maxx for win 7:
1. Connect the supplied USB cable into your device, then into your computer. Please ensure your device is powered on and unlocked.
2. When you plug in the device for the first time, the PC will ask to install drivers, click OK to continue. (If your device is not being recognized you may need to update your drivers HERE )
3. Go to Notifications (by touching the notifications bar at the top of the phone's screen and dragging it down)
4. Touch the “USB connection” notification
5. Touch USB Mass Storage. Computer will recognize handset as an external drive.

I tried downloading & running the latest driver on step 2 but still nothing happened. Has anyone run into the same problem & found a solution? Thanks.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, I plugged my MAXX into a Windows 7 computer at a client's house...it had never had an Android phone plugged into it, but only Apple iPhones... Well, it didn't "look like" it had done anything, but when I went to the Explorer, there they were...two new "hard drives", and they were the two SD Cards on the phone...the Internal SD Card (now called SDCard0), and the External or removable SD Card (now called SDCard1). So just because it doesn't "wake up" and give you a screen indication doesn't mean it's not seeing the phone and connecting properly.

Also, depending on what mode you left the phone last time you connected with a USB cable, will determine if it tries to "autoplay" the files on the phone or not. In my case, it was set to Media so it simply showed the drives.

MMBrown26

Reaction score
I wanted to add one further point that I negelected to before submitting the comment below. One other unusual circumstance about trying to make the connections that I described is that the USB cable absolutely does cause my phone battery to begin charging. It just will not allow me to see discs in the phone from my computer and the phone does not show up in Device Manager or under Portable Devices under Computer in Windows 7.

Any informed advice would be greatly appreciated. I keep my phone safely inside an "otter" case, which makes is slightly troublesome to take apart in order to get at the Micro-SD card so that I can then put that card inside a micro sd card reader in order to add music to it. It would be outstanding if I could get this working the way that it is supposed to as described by Motorola in the User Manual and on the website.

Kind thanks!!!
=====

I have experienced exactly the same issue that you described accurately here. I even tried to remove and reinstall the software, tried installing the driver to another computer (laptop) running Window 7, hoping that I'd somehow be able to access the phone's microsd card via USB rather than having to open the case, remove the card, then view its contents with a microsd card reader. Alas, I ended up having to use a separate reader to add music to my card as the phone's drive(s) never show up via usb connection.

Has anyone had success with this process? And what the heck? My last phone, Droid X, connected perfectly every time.

Thank you.

bocabean

Reaction score
Did you try different USB connections on the PC, literally from say the back to front or left side to right side? Sometimes that can make a difference. The issue might also be related to the configuration of the USB driver, 2.0 vs 3.0, etc. I agree with the above that you have to check the status of the drivers.

MMBrown26

Reaction score
Trying different USB ports to connect Razr Maxx and see Micro-SD card

Did you try different USB connections on the PC, literally from say the back to front or left side to right side? Sometimes that can make a difference. The issue might also be related to the configuration of the USB driver, 2.0 vs 3.0, etc. I agree with the above that you have to check the status of the drivers.

Thank you kindly for responding. It would be very cool to get this working. Actually, I have tried every USB port on my laptop. Then I installed the software driver for USB connection on my desktop computer, also running Windows 7 Professional. Same result on it... I can charge the cell phone fine but the computer refuses to see the drive inside my Razr Maxx.

In someone else's comment, I saw that I should be SURE that I am using the OEM connection cable that came with my phone. Unfortunately, one of my kids evidently made off with it and I have been using another one that worked. So I ordered a Motorola OEM sync and charge(combo) cable for this particular phone 2 days ago. When it arrives, I will try again to properly connect my phone so that I can move music to and from the Micro-SD card inside of it without having to go through the laborious process of taking off the Otter case parts to very slowly get at the flash card inside the phone.

Will let you know if that works any better and I hope it will!

Appreciate the response!

MB

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
For what its worth...the cable that came with my RAZR Maxx did not work for me...but the one from my HTC incredible works great.

brucefulton

Reaction score
Well, I plugged my MAXX into a Windows 7 computer at a client's house...it had never had an Android phone plugged into it, but only Apple iPhones... Well, it didn't "look like" it had done anything, but when I went to the Explorer, there they were...two new "hard drives", and they were the two SD Cards on the phone...the Internal SD Card (now called SDCard0), and the External or removable SD Card (now called SDCard1). So just because it doesn't "wake up" and give you a screen indication doesn't mean it's not seeing the phone and connecting properly.

Also, depending on what mode you left the phone last time you connected with a USB cable, will determine if it tries to "autoplay" the files on the phone or not. In my case, it was set to Media so it simply showed the drives.

Mine shows up on Win7 as three drives after the initial pop up asking if I want to load motocast or view files (select view files), with the first drive being a fakey CD emulation drive from which you can install the moto-cast software to your PC and the second drive, which shows the internal storage, and the third drive, which shows my SD card. On the USB connectoid in the phone notifications, be sure USB mass storage device is selected.

I've never had problems with it, before or after either the ICS or JB upgrades. The phone has to be on and unlocked before connecting.

MMBrown26

Reaction score
I got a laugh from your response! Thank you for that. I will keep hope alive that the new cable will do the trick for me. I imagine any "good" cable should work. The one I was left with by one of my kids only works sometimes, even to just charge the phone. That is more than likely why it is still at home and the new one that came with my phone is "away at university." Funny how that works!:p

MMBrown26

Reaction score
I received my new USB connection/sync cable in the mail yesterday. Now I have no problem seeing data on the phone from my computer. Thanks everyone for
your help and advice! :)