Coming to the Droid

ben.keen

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Ben and I'm a convert from the world of BlackBerry. I'm a BESAdmin for my company but after looking at the Droid at the Verizon store and on line and playing around with a few I've decided to give Droid and chance. I was going to with the Incredible but then I started reading all the features that the Droid X will have and the fact that I can order it on the 15th and have it within 48 hours rather than waiting until August 4th sold me on the Droid X. I'm a little nervous about the overall size of the device but I am looking forward to the mobile hotspot amoung other features!

Guess it is now time to see what "Droid does"....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Welcome......

Everything is what "Droid Does...."

OP
ben.keen

ben.keen

Reaction score
Welcome......

Everything is what "Droid Does...."

Thanks! If anyone has App recommandations that would be great. I plan on loading the "normal" Apps (Facebook, foursquare, APNews, etc) but obviously coming from a BlackBerry that was on a BES my choice of Apps was limited so if anyone has recommandations let me know!

indefactorX

Reaction score
Droid X is nice, lacks a physical keyboard (If that is important to you coming from blackberry)

Moto Droid has a keyboard, but has half the processing power of the Droid X

If you wait the Droid 2 will be getting released
It's a clone of the original droid with an updated Fascia and a 1ghz Processor
But does not have HDMI output like the Droid X

All of them are compatible with Android 2.2 (Which includes WIFI Tether)

I have the Droid 1 (Rooted running 2.2) and will possibly be getting the Droid 2 (I MUST have physical keyboard :p ) But am interested in waiting for later this year as they've announced a Dual Core 2GHZ phone by Christmas

App Recommendations for new users:
Advanced Task Killer un-recommended :p
ES File Explorer
Ebuddy Instant Messenger
Act 1 Video Player

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid X is nice, lacks a physical keyboard (If that is important to you coming from blackberry)

I have the Droid 1 (Rooted running 2.2) and will possibly be getting the Droid 2 (I MUST have physical keyboard :p ) But am interested in waiting for later this year as they've announced a Dual Core 2GHZ phone by Christmas

Advanced Task Killer
ES File Explorer
Ebuddy Instant Messenger
Act 1 Video Player

Definitely stay away from advance task killer. Droid can manage it's own memory just fine thank you, further since the X has more app memory anyway it really makes ATK unnecessary.

I highly recommend Screebl. You'll see why once you get your Droid.;)

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score

Advanced Task Killer
ES File Explorer
Ebuddy Instant Messenger
Act 1 Video Player

Definitely stay away from advance task killer. Droid can manage it's own memory just fine thank you, further since the X has more app memory anyway it really makes ATK unnecessary.

I highly recommend Screebl. You'll see why once you get your Droid.;)

Bill..might i ask what Screebl is?..

OP
ben.keen

ben.keen

Reaction score

Advanced Task Killer
ES File Explorer
Ebuddy Instant Messenger
Act 1 Video Player

I had a BlackBerry Storm when it first released (I was actually at the release event here in Pittsburgh which was neat) so I'm okay with no phyiscal keyboard and with a 4.3" screen, there is plenty of space for the typing area and the keyboard with room to spare to land an 747 Jumbo on the screen LOL.

As an IT guy for an international law firm, the mobile hotspot feature is really making me smile. This is a double edge sword. It means I can connect to the Internet via the 3G network and remote to a server if needed but it also means I can connect to the Internet via the 3G network and remote to a server LOL.

delt4

Reaction score
Ben, welcome to the world of Droid. I also came from having blackberrys for years. I now have the Droid but will be moving to the Droid 2, like many others. I had the Storm before I bought the Droid and the physical keyboard is a must for me. If you can wait, i would for the droid 2.

apps for you
Handcent
Bump
barcode scanner
advanced task killer
astro file manager
kindle for android

i have so many its hard to choose really.

BTW congrats on getting a phone you can hold without loosing all of your signal. Plus you would hate knowing your phone would just be playing catch up with the ever evolving community and software the droid has. :)

OP
ben.keen

ben.keen

Reaction score
Ben, welcome to the world of Droid. I also came from having blackberrys for years. I now have the Droid but will be moving to the Droid 2, like many others. I had the Storm before I bought the Droid and the physical keyboard is a must for me. If you can wait, i would for the droid 2.

apps for you
Handcent
Bump
barcode scanner
advanced task killer
astro file manager
kindle for android

i have so many its hard to choose really.

BTW congrats on getting a phone you can hold without loosing all of your signal. Plus you would hate knowing your phone would just be playing catch up with the ever evolving community and software the droid has. :)

Thanks man. I think I'll move on the Droid X because I will still have a "New Every 2" upgrade on my account because I'm using the upgrade on a line that I don't use anymore so I'll have the upgrade on my main line still which hits in under 10 months...booyah!

As far as the iPhone v Droid fight, I like VZW for its coverage and don't want to switch to AT&T so yeah the iPhone was really never a concern of mine plus you are right, I think Apple missed the mark with iOS4 and the iPhone 4. I think Google is pushing the envelope with what mobile devices can do and I look forward to seeing what 2.2 has to offer here in a few weeks.

As far as the Apps, thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out.

delt4

Reaction score
They just slow it down for the most part, read up on it =).

Ya, I've read forums on it and i understand that its not required because the droid does well with its resources, and you can end tasks through your settings menu. But for me its an easy way to kill the badly writen 3rd party apps running in the background hogging all my battery and using resources that shouldn't be used.

Anyways, not to get away from the OP's original thought. It's personal prefrence to have a task killer/manager. Some people have said it shut off their phones. Others love the easy access. You can always read the forums and make your own mind up. The Market is full of great apps, I find myself trying new apps on a daily basis.