Comcast Caps Subscribers At 1TB Per Month

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

There have been caps on home data for some time. However many home internet providers have removed caps over the past few years as data demands have increased. Everyone streams video these days. Either you are watching youtube videos here and there or watching Netflix. My family watches more internet video than cable by far. I feel like I would have no problem with converting fully to internet video and doing away with cable.

Comcast is apparently feeling the pain of consumer over use of the internet. They have decided to cap their subscribers at 1TB. For most people 1TB will be unattainable, but for anyone who torrents files or just simply watches all or a large part of their video content online it would be very easy to go over this limit. Comcast customers had previously had no cap to their data so as you an imagine this has no sat well with customers. The above video has 60,000+ dislikes and only 287 likes. Should internet providers cap your data?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
One reason why I don't use comcrap. For work I can use 20GB a day writing and pushing databases to different environments. Heck I just downloaded a 120GB backup from a clients server.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
They failed to mention how many minutes of 4k adult video I could watch with a terabyte. I am sure it wouldn't even be a week's worth, let alone a month. And what if I want to play online games while I watch it? While streaming music, while downloading cat pictures?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't get anywhere near a quarter of the cap but this is stupid. In the age of media streaming, the general public has a pretty good chance of getting to 1TB of data. And media is only going to require more data from here on out with 4k coming along

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rip them all you want, but I get 100Mbps down from Comcast. That's pretty fast.

Why not go to a tiered data. Let those that consume more pay more. Also Mustang, Comcast has a business class cable internet offering, I am guessing there is still no limit on that.

Beardface

Reaction score
If there is no legitimate competition in the area data caps should be illegal. For a vast majority of the country, if you don't want TWC or Comcast you're SOL and if you had a data cap thrown on you suddenly you're even more hampered.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got the email. Apparently in the last 3 months my household has averaged 135GB of usage. So I think we are ok.

legalkill

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force
Well back in the early days of Netflix. Comcast cut our internet off cold. We went over the then 350 GB cap the first three months we got netflix and Comcast cancelled our account (Wife didn't answer their calls). We had to switch to a business plan.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Why not go to a tiered data. Let those that consume more pay more. Also Mustang, Comcast has a business class cable internet offering, I am guessing there is still no limit on that.

I would semi-agree with this, if it wasn't for the fact of semi-monopolies for cable companies by geographical regions. I should not have to choose between Comcast and a very much lower grade DSL option, as my only two options. It's extremely frustrating business model to be in. There is zero reason why comcast would be doing this other than greed. If it was fine offering the speeds, making millions upon millions, and stating that only 1% use over 1TB of data per month, then there should be no issue leaving it how it was. Most people speculate that this is a bigger scheme to just get data caps in place, and then hammer people. It is already known that most cable companies are losing millions every year to streaming platforms, which this seems like just the ploy the need to up the bottom dollar for no reason at all.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

I can get 300Mbps with my provider and no data caps.

Business class is great for a business. I don't think my company will pay for that since it's my personal connection.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
If anything this is an increase in their cap, before I moved to NC 5 years ago I was on Comcast in Va.and they had already came out with a 250 GB CAP in 2008. So I imagine a lot of people were going over.

As much as people complain about comcast/xfinity they haven't had the chance to experience the sucky-ness of TWC. I only wish I had Comcast back now.

Update: I just fact checked myself and it looks like Comcast suspended the 250 GB data cap after I moved in 2012 due to all of the attention the providers were getting due to net neutrality discussions. I guess they are not worried about that scrutiny anymore.

Clarifying Data Caps & Prioritization

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcas...ith-improved-data-usage-management-approaches

Last edited:

boidsonly

Reaction score
Coming soon to an ISP near you if you stay with Comcast. If they can get away with it, you can bet your last dollar Charter, et al will do it next.
I can see staying with Comcast if they are THE ONLY source of your internet. But if they are not, you need to leaver them to get the message across to the Comcast/ISPs thinking about this pricing model.
4K is coming soon as a standard-this will kill your viewing/gaming habits...

Another example of Comcast ripping off its customer base:

Comcast to pay record FCC fine over surprise charges for unwanted services and equipment

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have Charter with only 65 down but no caps. It should be doubling soon and then will be doubling again later down the road. As long as it stays no caps, I'm happy with 65 down. Very rarely do I personally need more than that. I average about 800 gigs a month according to the web stats on my router.

Reactions: cr6

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Oh no, we're about to run out of data to serve like it's a bowl of soup or something smh smh smh

This. Drives me crazy when these companies, cellular companies included, treat data like it's something they make.
"You use more, you should pay more"
In reality we are paying for a connection. Period. It doesn't cost any of these companies MORE money to... make... more data.
I'm all for companies making money. This is important for any economy.
But let's stop pretending these poor companies are under such a burden because people use so much data.

Reactions: cr6