Clock jumps ahead in time?

Taco

Reaction score
My girlfriend has a Sprint Evo Shift and I realize most everyone on here is probably on verizon ... android is android right?

This morning I was awaken by her stock clock app at "5am" but in reality it was only 4:52. While 8 minutes isn't too bad ... what if it got worse. I rebooted her phone and at first the clock jumped ahead six more minutes. It mustve heard me say "great now its worse" because it fixed soon after and was back to the correct time.

Her phone is stock and unrooted and she has almost all the same apps as me and none with any odd permissions that I could find.

Is this a Sprint error, or is there something wrong phone side? Any ideas would be appreciated as google turned up empty for me.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
All mobile phones get their time from each carrier. They sync their times to the atomic clock in California (?). According to an article in popular science magazine if the individual phones kept their own time it would crash the entire network because every transmission is time coded for delivery purposes. If your phone isn't doing it also, it's her phone, not the network. Maybe more than you wanted to know but it should answer your question.

OP
Taco

Taco

Reaction score
That's what I figured but I couldn't test it to be her phone or the network with the issue since I'm on verizon and she's on sprint. Since the reboot fixed it I'm assuming its phone related.

Thanks!

kquinby

Reaction score
I have Verizon and I just purchased an HTC Thunderbolt and I had the same problem this morning and then again later on in the afternoon. This morning, my clock was ahead by 20 minutes and then around noon, it was ahead by 10 minutes. I had to re-boot the phone both times to get it to show the correct time. This wasn't the case for anyone else I was with that had Verizon, even for those with android-based phones. This must be an issue specific to the 4G HTC phones and it's pretty obnoxious when my alarms go off ahead of time.

I went to the VZW store after work today and their genius solution was to pull out and re-insert the sim card. They just said to keep an eye on it...if it continues to happen I'll have to go back and make a big scene about it until they swap out the phone of figure something out.

I'm too noob to have done anything at all to the phone, it's completely virgin and un-rooted except for a few random apps.

OP
Taco

Taco

Reaction score
My Verizon Samsung Omnia would go back in time making me late for work a lot. What's the sense in alarm apps if the darn clock isn't gonna work.

grace1169

Reaction score
So why don't you guys undo Automatic in Date & Time Setting and set time by yourself. It may be tested:sth wrong with phone or sth wrong with network.

Last edited: