Chromecast Root And BootLoader Exploit!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
200px-Chromecast-stock.jpg

Over the weekend GTVhacker released a bootloader exploit and root method for the Google Chromecast! Their website got so much traffic after the release that they were actually having trouble keeping their site up. Chromecast is so new that it is not supported by tons of apps. It may do everything that the Nexus Q did and more, but for most of us that is just not enough. With the bootloader exploit and root cool stuff is already showing up like a Gameboy Emulator! Who knows what all is possible with this super affordable device! You can find the complete root method at the source link below.

Via GTVhacker

skennelly

Reaction score
I will hopefully be purchasing one before our next vacation. This would be great to have in our hotel room so the kids can watch Netflix.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Too bad I can't see how to get this to work with my home theater (because my receiver is ancient and doesn't have wifi/usb)

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Too bad I can't see how to get this to work with my home theater (because my receiver is ancient and doesn't have wifi/usb)
Aren't there HDMI to Component adapters?

With all these developments, I'm trying to decide whether or not to get this and sell my GoogleTV. I've never touched the Blu-Ray player and only use it to watch Netflix and Google Movies. What would be a good selling price?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
hmmm... if I can put xbmc on this it's looking better and better as something to get instead of the mk808...

again, I need to be able to stream from my home server to my TV and unless I can do that this just won't cut it.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I suppose I could do something like that. Doubt it would be able to draw power from the receiver, though.

What do you mean draw power? This thing requires a power plug as is.

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
hmmm... if I can put xbmc on this it's looking better and better as something to get instead of the mk808...

again, I need to be able to stream from my home server to my TV and unless I can do that this just won't cut it.
I'm pretty sure I heard Plex is going to or is thinking of supporting the Chromecast, which will do exactly what you want. I use it to stream movies stored on my main PC to my iPad and laptop when I'm away.

I suppose I could do something like that. Doubt it would be able to draw power from the receiver, though.
There's a USB wall adapter head included in the box, so if your TV or in your case, receiver, doesn't have a USB port, you can just plug it into the wall. That's probably how I'll be doing it since my TV only has 2 USB ports.

My uncle just made a outdoor/drive-in type theater set up off his porch by hanging a projector screen between 2 screens and that's how I was going to set it up for him.

EDIT: Damn these things sold out fast. Was planning on running to Bestbuy tomorrow to pick one but according to their site, they're sold out everywhere. Maybe I'll be lucky and there'll be a few left

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There's a USB wall adapter head included in the box, so if your TV or in your case, receiver, doesn't have a USB port, you can just plug it into the wall. That's probably how I'll be doing it since my TV only has 2 USB ports.

I see that. I'll have to look at my receiver - not sure it has an HDMI input (it's 9-10 years old) and the two RGB inputs are already used by the cable and PS3. I do have a spare digital/optical input or two I could probably work with.

I'm not thrilled about using my laptop to "cast" - but is that only initially or does your laptop need to remain on for the entirety? I certainly have no love lost for Netflix over the PS3, not to mention I can't watch HBO Go or Xfinity thru it period.