Cheap (but Awesome) Car Dock: Review

Zandar

Reaction score
I just picked this up the other day (but from WalMart; was a couple of bucks cheaper, but I don't see it on their site, anymore):
Amazon.com: Arkon Mobile Grip Windshield and Dash Mount - Bulk Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

41FWFga8fWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has a nice, spring loaded back piece that hugs the RAZR quite well even without a case, but I daresay it would also work well with a case. I use this on my car windshield to do GPS and Torque (*****in' app; I'll do a review on it as soon as I get some photos and video). Doesn't shake at all; even uder high boost on a rough road :icon_ devil: Also, it's a very understated, handsome looking mount. Even though it's a universal, it's sleek and svelte; doesn't look at all unwieldy or bulky. In fact, It looks sleeker than the purpose made dock for the RAZR (though it obviously doesn't come with cords). The movement of the mount, for viewing angles, is very firm without any signs of give, yet compliant enough for fine tuning. It feels as though it will hold firm for the long haul, but only time will tell. At $12, though, it could only last a year and I'd still be pleased with it.

I haven't tried the mounting disk, yet, but I will so I can use my RAZR as a HUD with Torque. I see no reason why it wouldn't work equally as well as it has done mounted to the windscreen. All in all, I can't recommend this any higher for an inexpensive mount that does the job of mounting your RAZR to your car.

OP
Z

Zandar

Reaction score
Nice find. Reminds met of EXOGEAR ExoMount - Car Mount for iPhone, Smartphones, but cheaper.

So it's a "clamp" style holder where you push a button to release the phone?
I looked at the EXOGEAR one, but ended up going with the Arkon because it was cheaper and I liked the form factor a little bit more. It's actually not a clamp style in the way the EXO is; the clamps on the Arkon slide up and down to open, so they're on a linear plane (instead of an increasing angle like the EXO, if that makes sense). The back piece on the Arkon is also spring loaded and pushed forward, so that part hugs the back of the device while the clamps hug the sides/front.

Sal R.

Reaction score
I looked at the EXOGEAR one, but ended up going with the Arkon because it was cheaper and I liked the form factor a little bit more. It's actually not a clamp style in the way the EXO is; the clamps on the Arkon slide up and down to open, so they're on a linear plane (instead of an increasing angle like the EXO, if that makes sense). The back piece on the Arkon is also spring loaded and pushed forward, so that part hugs the back of the device while the clamps hug the sides/front.

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed on the ball joint on the back that it doesn't have a collar to tighten and it was kinda confirmed on the reviews. How's the grip on that long term, you think? Think that it won't flop around over time and usage?

OP
Z

Zandar

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I noticed on the ball joint on the back that it doesn't have a collar to tighten and it was kinda confirmed on the reviews. How's the grip on that long term, you think? Think that it won't flop around over time and usage?
No issues thus far, but it's admittedly pretty new. The mount's pivot is stiff but movable, so I don't really foresee problems in the future. Honestly, though, if it starts to sag in a year I'll probably just buy another one since it's only $12. That said, I have yet to have an issue with it and I don't anticipate one. If I do have issues in the future, I'll update this post so people know about it. All in all, though, I guess it would be prudent to consider that it has the potential to get loose if you pivot it a lot (though it might not, too).

Josebunbury

Reaction score
Thanks for the great review, My GF was looking for one for her car and I'm stopping today to purchase since its that cheap..!!!

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
If you can get ahold of a Droid X or Droid X2 car dock you can convert it into a car dock for the Razr Maxx. Remove the first plastic shell upward. Take the back 4 screws out and gently pry forward the second shell. Remove the internal power cable and replace the second shell and screws. The dock will now fit the Razr Maxx perfectly but without power to it. Use your ac power cord to get power to your phone.

flipnduc

Reaction score
If you can get ahold of a Droid X or Droid X2 car dock you can convert it into a car dock for the Razr Maxx. Remove the first plastic shell upward. Take the back 4 screws out and gently pry forward the second shell. Remove the internal power cable and replace the second shell and screws. The dock will now fit the Razr Maxx perfectly but without power to it. Use your ac power cord to get power to your phone.

Just did the simple mod from my Droid X docking station.

thanks!:biggrin:

usafvet74

Reaction score
How well will either of these docks work w/ a Razr in an Otterbox?

homesmart

Reaction score
I am using my Razr with a basic rubberized plastic case. There is a small amount of expansion beyond its size.

Width is no problem, what is you long dimension (exact).