Charging via USB in the car

TheMilkman

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I've been looking all over the forums for an answer to my question, but cant seem to find it anywhere. If there is another thread about my question that someone knows of, please let me know.

The situation:
I just got the new droid 2 and it will not charge in my car. I am using the USB-miniUSB that came with the Droid and a CigAdapter-USB charging adapter (Scosche, not verizon one). When i plug the Droid in to charge using this method, the phone does NOT charge. The white light on the side turns on, the charging system appears on the phone, but the battery does not charge. Im guessing that either the voltage is different or the Droid needs some sort of return connection to activate the charging.

I am planning on flush mounting a USB hub to the dash of my car and want to make sure i can get this to work.

The question:
How do i get the Droid to charge via USB in a car from a 12V source?

Sincerely,
The Milkman

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine charges in all three cars we have (Japanase minivan & econocar, and German sport sedan) with various car chargers...have you confirmed your droid chargers OK w/a "regular" cigarette ligher car charger (non-USB cable type) just to be sure it's not a general issue w/your phone?

The only charging problem I ever had was a cheap car no-name charger that would charge ordinary feature phones but not my Droid.

sziehr

Reaction score
Most 12 volt USB adapters only put out about 500 ma. The wall charger for the D2 puts out, I believe, about 875 ma. You need an adapter rated the same or higher for best results.

OP
T

TheMilkman

Reaction score
ahhh.... looks like all three of the USB chargers that i have were only rated at 500mA. And after reading more of the fine print on the Droid 2 charger, it is indeed 850mA.

I came across this one from Cables to Go (http://www.thenerds.net/CABLES_TO_GO.Cables_To_Go_Auto_Adapter.22329.html?affid=8&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=22329^~^CABLES%20TO%20GO).

Since this matches the 850mA rating, it would work just fine right? And what about the 1000mA ones? I saw more of those, but they said that they weren't recommended for the Droid (not sure about the Droid 2).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
2 suggestions:

1) get one of those outlet that plugs into a cigarette lighter and just use your d2 chareger.

2) if you have a laptop or netbook, plug it into it to charge your d2. (suggestion 2 is more for if you at rest.

OP
T

TheMilkman

Reaction score
2 suggestions:

1) get one of those outlet that plugs into a cigarette lighter and just use your d2 charger.

2) if you have a laptop or netbook, plug it into it to charge your d2. (suggestion 2 is more for if you at rest.

1) i have done this with one if the inverters that i have (Cobra CPI480). The AC outlets charge the Droid 2 just fine. The USB does not work.

2) Too much hassle while im driving. I dont want to have to turn on my laptop everytime i want to drive and charge the Droid 2. Plus i dont have my laptop with me enough to do that.

In either case, it would make the final task more difficult. Since i would only like the USB port visible and mounted to my car dash, hiding a large inverter becomes more difficult. I would like to hide everything behind the panels and only have the USB visible. Something similar to what i read about Here. So i was thinking if i got the right inverter, i could wire it behind the panel and run a USB extension out to the dash.

sziehr

Reaction score
Radio Shack has a micro USB charger for $19 that puts out 1.2 A (1200 ma) that also has an additional USB port. I forgot the brand though. It works fine charging my phone.

OP
T

TheMilkman

Reaction score
Radio Shack has a micro USB charger for $19 that puts out 1.2 A (1200 ma) that also has an additional USB port. I forgot the brand though. It works fine charging my phone.

No signs of problems from giving the phone more than the recommended charging power?

wcjeep

Reaction score
I'm using the Griffin 12v Powerjolt. It has USB 2x1000ma slots. No problem charging my Droid X. I bought one for each of the vehicles. Bought mine at WalMart.