Charging my X overnight...

Indigenous

Reaction score
...is it safe. There's a little book that came with my phone and it says you can't over charge it, but is it safe to leave it on a charger over night without killing the battery?

Prerunnerseth

Reaction score
...is it safe. There's a little book that came with my phone and it says you can't over charge it, but is it safe to leave it on a charger over night without killing the battery?

The phone will stop charging when the battery is full.

HawaiiDroidX

Reaction score
glad i found this thread lol..ive done this a few times since getting my X on monday haha..and also done with my last phone (EnV Touch)

stryguy

Reaction score
The chemistry in these batteries are such that keeping them at 4200mV (which is full charge) for extended periods of time will cause their maximum capacity to decrease. This is due to oxidation within the battery cells. Will this happen over night? No. Will it happen over 1 year of constantly doing this, I 100% promise you it will.

I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and 12 years of working on battery technology at General Motors to back that statement up. Now, is that a big deal since you can go replace that battery for $40 at your Verizon store... Nope. I say go for it.. But expect that buying a new battery is in your 1 year (or so) future.

OP
I

Indigenous

Reaction score
The chemistry in these batteries are such that keeping them at 4200mV (which is full charge) for extended periods of time will cause their maximum capacity to decrease. This is due to oxidation within the battery cells. Will this happen over night? No. Will it happen over 1 year of constantly doing this, I 100% promise you it will.

I have a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry and 12 years of working on battery technology at General Motors to back that statement up. Now, is that a big deal since you can go replace that battery for $40 at your Verizon store... Nope. I say go for it.. But expect that buying a new battery is in your 1 year (or so) future.

I'm glad you're on the GM Team!!! I work at GM too and I appreciate the very qualified answer. I will get a docking station within a week or so and won't worry about it. thanks again!