Charging Droid X battery and turning phone on

daniel4ever

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I inherited my son's old Droid X when he got a new phone for Christmas. I have learned a lot by reading online and asking him questions, but a couple of things perplex me.

1) The battery will not charge fully if the phone is on, even if I put it in sleep mode. In fact, the charge level went down while it was plugged in! If I turn the phone off, it will achieve a 100% charge. Am I doing something wrong? Any ways to fix this?

2) When I turn the phone on after it has been off to charge, it always gives me a "updating SD card" message, vibrates and makes an audible alert. Why is that? Can I stop it?

Thanks for any help you can give me! :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sounds like you have a bad battery possibly. They only take so many charges before they go bad..just my take on it..

I don't remember a lot about the x..so I can't help you with the notification..perhaps check in sounds and see if there's a notification you can turn off..

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

OP
D

daniel4ever

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bad battery possibly. They only take so many charges before they go bad..just my take on it..

I don't remember a lot about the x..so I can't help you with the notification..perhaps check in sounds and see if there's a notification you can turn off..

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

Hi! I had thought maybe I would need a new battery, but isn't it strange that it charges if the phone is off just fine, but if it is on it loses charge? Oh well, guess I will look into a new battery.

And, thanks, I did look at the notifications, so when it checks the card at startup, at least it will be quiet about it now!

Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

wcjeep

Reaction score
In addition to possible bad battery check the micro USB plug. It could have a build up of dirt/lint? I have no idea why the Droid X Updates the SD Card. Both of ours did this. My daughter uses one of our old phones. When adding media to her phone it requires a few minutes to think about the new media before touching the phone. Trying to access any media while the phone is thinking is not a good idea. Once the phone is happy you are good to go.

OP
D

daniel4ever

Reaction score
In addition to possible bad battery check the micro USB plug. It could have a build up of dirt/lint? I have no idea why the Droid X Updates the SD Card. Both of ours did this. My daughter uses one of our old phones. When adding media to her phone it requires a few minutes to think about the new media before touching the phone. Trying to access any media while the phone is thinking is not a good idea. Once the phone is happy you are good to go.

Hi! Thanks for the suggestion to check the micro usb plug - it was my son's phone, and he is not the neatest person on the planet, so it is a reasonable thing to do! lol........

As for the SD card, at least I know it is not something wrong, which is a relief. And, with the alert turned off, it is much less annoying! I am learning to be very patient with this phone. :cool:

Thanks again for your help!