charging disabled when Droid is overheating?

BikerTech

Reaction score
I was using my Droid turn-by-turn feature on a recent trip. The sun was shining on the dashboard, thus making the Droid hot at the touch. I also have the Droid plugged-in to my car charger. After a while, I noticed that the battery gage starts to decline as the charge is no longer happen. I then removed the Droid, unplug it from the charger and turn it off for a while. When the Droid is no longer hot to the touch, I turn it back on, connect with the charger and the charging is back to normal. From this experience, I am guessing when the Droid is overheating, it disables the charging of the phone. Anyone else experiences this problem?

iPirate

Reaction score
Most likely a safety feature of the battery/phone

OP
BikerTech

BikerTech

Reaction score

If that is the case, then the Droid does not really replace a GPS unit. With my Garmin, I have it connected to my car charger for a long distance trip with no problem like this.

iPirate

Reaction score

If that is the case, then the Droid does not really replace a GPS unit. With my Garmin, I have it connected to my car charger for a long distance trip with no problem like this.
Your Garmin should do the same if it gets too hot. Would you rather it blow up in your car while driving 70mph? :icon_eek:

Bimmerjo

Reaction score
Li-Ion are some of the most sensitive batteries on the market... My GPS BETTER shut off charging if it gets hot. (as well as my phone)

iPirate

Reaction score
Is it possible to run the phone without the battery in? this might be a solution

justreboot

Reaction score

Your Garmin should do the same if it gets too hot. Would you rather it blow up in your car while driving 70mph? :icon_eek:

that was too funny - great visual...
I had my phone on some socks overnite and when i woke up noticed it was at 51C with only 40% charged// guess that answers that question//
once i power cycled (and removed the socks) / the droid cooled down to 26C in about 20 minutes and charged in about 40 minutes...