Charger amps

dmatre

Reaction score
The ac charger that came with the Droid 2 Global says output is 850mA.
I have a charger from an old Harmon Kardin GPS that is the type that the USB cable plugs into. It has an output of 1A. Will the 150mA difference hurt anything if I use it to charge the DG2?
Thanks,
Don

cavemanbangs

Reaction score
it shouldnt hurt anything .. but it might not charge the phone if your using it (like gps nav) .. theres threads in this forum - were people with a lower ma actually lost battery because the current wasn't enough to run the phone and charge the battery at the same time (same thing is true when using a computer with low power output to the usb), but it should at least charge when idle .. i went to amazon spent 5 bucks on an oem motorola charger and crossed my fingers and it seems to be working fine for me with no issues

OP
D

dmatre

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Your reply sounds like you read it as if I would be using fewer mA than the oem. It won't be under the oem by 150mA but rather it will be over the oem by 150mA. Oem = 850mA proposed alternative = 1A.
My concern isn't if it will be enough to charge it, but rather if I would be riskinging charging it too fast.
Thanks,
Don

leobg

Reaction score
It is ok even if your charger provides 100A output. Current drawn while charging will be as much as phone needs. As long as charger can provide more than what phone needs everything will be OK.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
It is ok even if your charger provides 100A output. Current drawn while charging will be as much as phone needs. As long as charger can provide more than what phone needs everything will be OK.

This is correct.