change fonts?

deflepchik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Hi all! New Droid Turbo user here....I tried searching the forum before posting and couldn't locate an answer. Is there a way to change the font style? I see how to change the size, just not the style. TIA!

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Hi all! New Droid Turbo user here....I tried searching the forum before posting and couldn't locate an answer. Is there a way to change the font style? I see how to change the size, just not the style. TIA!
Sadly, I have not found a way.

✋ Sent from my Droid Turbo with Tapatalk

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I did however change to VZ messenger for my texts. At least those fonts can be changed.

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Oh yes. How rude of me. Congrats, and welcome!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
@deflepchic , congratulations on your phone purchase. Please allow me to clarify, with regard to changing of fonts are you asking whether you can have different style fonts but in the same language, or are you looking for perhaps specific language fonts? There may be options out there but they're not as simple as being built into the phone already.

OP
deflepchik

deflepchik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
@deflepchic , congratulations on your phone purchase. Please allow me to clarify, with regard to changing of fonts are you asking whether you can have different style fonts but in the same language, or are you looking for perhaps specific language fonts? There may be options out there but they're not as simple as being built into the phone already.
Thanks! Same language - just different styles. :)

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Welcome to the site @deflepchik! Unfortunately there's not any easy way to change system fonts unless you're phone is rooted. Fonts can be changed easily without root on some phones like Samsung and LG but not sure about the Droid Turbo.

Certain launcher apps like GO Launcher can change your font but they won’t let you change the fonts everywhere on the device. (GO Launcher Fonts) This means that some menus and sub-menus that aren’t under the control of the launcher app will still use the default font.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks Wicked. That's exactly where I was going with this. As for changing fonts with the Turbo, I believe since it's a Droid (Verizon exclusive), it will be more locked down than others and so I'm going to take the conservative estimate that changing fonts in this phone without root isn't likely, since I believe all the system files, especially those related to style and function are in protected directories in the root partition., And since root hasn't been achieved its probably a lost cause. There may be a way using ADB commands but if any if the files have system permissions that need to be set a specific way it won't work.

I will do some research to see but someone else may be able to add valuable perspective as well.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Thanks Wicked. That's exactly where I was going with this. As for changing fonts with the Turbo, I believe since it's a Droid (Verizon exclusive), it will be more locked down than others and so I'm going to take the conservative estimate that changing fonts in this phone without root isn't likely, since I believe all the system files, especially those related to style and function are in protected directories in the root partition., And since root hasn't been achieved its probably a lost cause. There may be a way using ADB commands but if any if the files have system permissions that need to be set a specific way it won't work.

I will do some research to see but someone else may be able to add valuable perspective as well.

Yeah, changing the system font isn't natively supported in Android. Since the Turbo is running nearly stock Android, it doesn't have the functionality. Root would be needed to change it across the whole system. Samsung and LG devices have the option to change the font baked into their custom software.