Change default and unknown contacts picture

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
This is a topic I've seen answered for other models, in particular, I found a handy guide for the D1 posted over in the D1 forum.

Unfortunately, it would appear these files (Contacts.apk + Phone.apk) don't exist on the D2. I did find some of the PNGs mentioned from Contacts.apk in the framework-res.apk file. However, the "picture_unknown.png" file mentioned that's supposed to be in Phone.apk is nowhere to be found.

I already checked "BlurContacts.apk" and "BlurPhone.apk" and half those elements are foreign to me. Gives me a chill because it might be hinting at Verizon having violated Blur to an obscene level...

Anyways, things have obviously changed between incarnations. Whether this is a Droid issue or a 2.1 vs 2.2 issue is beyond me.

Anyone happen to know the new approach to this? I'm sorta tired of this mannequin overrunning my contact list, and I already have a better image ready to go, so I just need some help finding what files to replace in this version.

lizard

Reaction score
Cant remember how my stock setup operated but from the contact list>Pick a Contact>Menu>Edit, then look for an icon like a pictureframe with a little "+" symbol in it.

OP
NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Cant remember how my stock setup operated but from the contact list>Pick a Contact>Menu>Edit, then look for an icon like a pictureframe with a little "+" symbol in it.
That's for setting a picture for a known/stored contact. I have that part nailed down already, although, not happy with Android overriding names and pictures, but that's another topic entirely that I've been picking at for awhile. Latest news: waiting on Moto for fix..

I'm looking for the image used for contacts without a photo; the one that's currently just a gray silhouette. I'm also looking for the image used for numbers that call that aren't known; the one that's currently the same gray silhouette with question mark next to it. Trying to find which apk file they're in so I can customize them.

Like I said, I already found the "ic_contact_list_picture[_2/_3].png" file(s) in the framework-res.apk. However, while they appear to be the files used for the (nearly) full screen caller ID, they don't seem to be the default picture when viewing contacts in the list. The gray silhouette in that list appears to just be flat without any shading on it, while the files I found are (1) too big, and (2) have shading on them. I would even suspect the darker gray backdrop that silhouette is on is also part of the image file.

What I cannot find at all is the correct "picture_unknown.png" file. I found a smaller + similar version in the BlurPhone/BlurContacts APK files, but that's not the one used by the phone anywhere I can see. I fear Verizon may've skinned over the Blur interface, and in that case, I need to find Verizon's stock skin files..

Already have the process for changing APKs dialed in, and already have root. I've spent months researching these forums, and love all the information and research people have done. Thank you all for everything y'all have done here to pick apart these fun little phones.

I was only forced stopped lurking as soon as a full day of Google searches here and elsewhere left me high n dry.