Change Boot Notification Sounds?

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Somehow (probably something I did), a particular notification sound on my Bionic got changed, and I'm trying to figure out how to change it back. To be clear, I'm probably going to be migrating to a different phone soon (i.e. link). So, I don't want much fuss put into this, but if anyone knows how to make this particular change, I'll take the tip...

The notification I'm talking about is near/at the end of the boot process after turning my phone off and then back on again.

Not the 'machinery engaging' sound that happens when the animated phone theme pic first comes on and stays there for a while. That one is still the same it always was. I'm talking about the one that happens (twice in a row, very close to each other) right when the lock screen first appears.

When I first got the Bionic, the sound at that point right there (the one that always happens twice in a row) was the default 'Droid' sound. However, after I messed around with some of the settings here and there, and/or after I started playing with 'sound boards', that sound has changed to something that sounds like a phone ringer.....not even something cool that I would ever choose either.....sounds like the ringer on an old dumb-phone or something.

First of all, does anyone else know the exact chronological placement in the boot process of the sound event that I'm talking about?

Then, do you have any idea what that sound event is named, and/or where and how to go in and change it (either back to the default, or to a sound of my choice)?

ripper2860

Reaction score
Likely disabled in setup (likely) -- unless you deleted the actual sound file (less likely). That sounds you are referring to is the SD Card Notification (initialization) sound and there is an option to enable/disable those in the settings| sound menu. You'll have to scroll down, but it is there as SD CArd Notification. Just make sure it is checked.

I'm afraid I cannot help with replacing the files if deleted, but thought it may be worth mentioning the above.

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
Likely disabled in setup (likely) -- unless you deleted the actual sound file (less likely). That sounds you are referring to is the SD Card Notification (initialization) sound and there is an option to enable/disable those in the settings| sound menu. You'll have to scroll down, but it is there as SD CArd Notification. Just make sure it is checked.

I'm afraid I cannot help with replacing the files if deleted, but thought it may be worth mentioning the above.

Well, I checked there, and that check box is checked.
However, this isn't about that 'event' not having a sound play....rather, this is about the wrong sound playing for that event.
Sorry if that wasn't clear enough in my OP.....kinda thought it was.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
From the homescreen select menu/settings/sound/notification ringtone... from there you can select the tone you want
the tone you are hearing is for sd card notifications… it can be disabled in that same sound menu

If you want different sounds for text or email … change them in the respective app settings

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
From the homescreen select menu/settings/sound/notification ringtone... from there you can select the tone you want
the tone you are hearing is for sd card notifications… it can be disabled in that same sound menu

If you want different sounds for text or email … change them in the respective app settings

Sorry, but no.
Somehow you guys aren't understanding what I'm getting at here.

I am not talking about the ringer for the phone.
I have already gone into the locations that have been mentioned above, and neither have anything to do with what I'm talking about.

I totally appreciate you trying to help me.
If you're willing, please reread my chronology in the OP so that you know which sound event I'm actually talking about.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
The instructions i posted are correct... it changes the default tone used at boot when your sd card is mounted and prepped... you hear it twice at the end of your reboot and you can change it to whatever you want if you follow my post... i just did it a couple times and it works fine... mine says "droid/droid" again just like when i bought it

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
The instructions i posted are correct... it changes the default tone used at boot when your sd card is mounted and prepped... you hear it twice at the end of your reboot and you can change it to whatever you want if you follow my post... i just did it a couple times and it works fine... mine says "droid/droid" again just like when i bought it

Ahhhh, crap.....you're absolutely right.
Let me explain my idiocy...

Every time I went there to change it to a different sound, it resulted in the same sound being played.....no matter which sound I picked from the bunch of sounds that I wanted to choose from.

Therefore, every time, since it never changed the resulting sound associated with that particular event, I figured that was not the place to change the sound for that particular event.

This time (after your most recent response), instead of picking out one of the sounds that I wanted it to be, I chose the default (DROID) sound, and when I rebooted, this time it did indeed have the default DROID sound there.... "droid....droid", just like you said.

Then, I chose another 'system provided' sound instead of that default one and instead of one of the other sounds that I'd rather use, and bam! it worked as well.

So, I guess I can use sounds that I've gotten from these 'sound borads' (Star Trek, etc) and stuff like that for some of the system's sound-notification events, but just not for that one....is that the deal?

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
That is correct... you can only use a tone in the system media file (internal memory) for the sd card notification … if you think about it.. it makes sense. The phone is prepping the sd card - the sound board tones are on the sd card - so it doesn't have access to them yet

Hang in there… it's a fun learning experience and there's a million of these tricky deals along the way