Car Stereo Bluetooth Adapter?

JFDroid

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows of such a thing as a car stereo bluetooth adapter?

Basically, I'm happy with my stock stereo system in my car, but it doesn't have bluetooth and I'm sick of having to plug in the cord to my Droid every time I get in my car to go somewhere.

Does anyone know if there's something that will plug into the AUX jack on the front of my stereo that is a bluetooth adapter to which my Droid's bluetooth could connect to, effectively letting me play bluetooth through my car stereo?

I've been looking on amazon.com and searching these forums for something like this, but to no avail. Short of replacing the entire head unit (not a terrible idea, mind you), I've found no real options for wireless media playback in my car via my Droid.

Thanks.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I think there is something my motorola. Someone else will reply about that. But it's going to be just as expensive as a new headunit. Least with a headunit you wont have something protruding out anywhere

OP
J

JFDroid

Reaction score
Yeah. That's not so much an issue (a little bit I guess), because the big issue with my car is that I have a lot of custom/aftermarket mods to the inside of my car (Pontiac Solstice) and tearing apart the inside would mess up some things and cost me money to replace some things that would probably break in the process. It's a lot easier for me to keep the head unit I have right now... if at all possible.

I just found this: Belkin : Bluetooth Music Receiver

It says it's for iPod, but our Droids have Bluetooth 2.1, and I assume if you can plug it into a home stereo system via 3.5mm jack then it would work plugged into my car's AUX input 3.5mm jack as well? Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of Belkin personally, I've always hated their routers and other products for the most part, but that's not a bad price.

JoeKickass

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the link! This thing looks perfect.

Please report back if you get that product and it works well for you, I have the same issue with my Honda Civic and I would love to not have to plug in the 3mm jack everytime I get in the car.

tdpolo26

Reaction score
see my install of the t605 instructions may be up your league if you have an aux in on front or back of your radio

OP
J

JFDroid

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the link! This thing looks perfect.

Please report back if you get that product and it works well for you, I have the same issue with my Honda Civic and I would love to not have to plug in the 3mm jack everytime I get in the car.

So sorry to take so long to update this thread with what I decided... I had a multiple day stint with password errors. I kept being unable to log in, even after using the password reset tool. Finally it worked after giving it 48 hours between log in attempts.

Ok, so I ended up buying a Sony MBR-100 from Amazon.com. It came in the mail and I used it, only for me to find that it had pretty low sound quality. I'm used to 3.5mm jack line-in quality sound, and it definitely put out about 50% of the quality I'm used to over bluetooth. Plus, there were a lot of auto-pairing/auto-connecting issues and I found it took longer to set up bluetooth than to simply plug in the little cable.

Needless to say, I sent back the MBR-100 to Amazon for a refund. Also, the worst part is that it ONLY plays music (only has A2DP profile - no support for hands-free voice over bluetooth).

I'm looking for further suggestions.

And I guess another question for anyone who reads this... if I do get a hands-free that plugs in through AUX in (which there doesn't seem to be too many options out there for this), if the device comes with a microphone, are callers on the other end going to get sound through my phone's mic AND through the bluetooth device's mic? Seems to me it would cause a lot of noise issues and picking up my voice twice. I have my phone mounted in my windshield so that it's close enough to my face to pick up my voice if I just speak up a tiny bit. I don't want something with a 2nd mic if it's going to cause sound issues to callers on the other end.

tdpolo26

Reaction score
If ur radio has a mute wire the t605 bluetooth system is the best does phone and audio and its only 30 dollars on ebay. Oh and I forgot to mention don't get a new deck that has the microphone built in that is the absolute worst my wife has it and because it is near the engine and airvents it is not easy to hear her. Pioneer has a few with external mics thatb do music and telephone I would look into that it may be a much cheaper less stressfull lption go to best buy and ask them to pair ur phone with the display and try it out

Last edited:
OP
J

JFDroid

Reaction score
If ur radio has a mute wire the t605 bluetooth system is the best does phone and audio and its only 30 dollars on ebay. Oh and I forgot to mention don't get a new deck that has the microphone built in that is the absolute worst my wife has it and because it is near the engine and airvents it is not easy to hear her. Pioneer has a few with external mics thatb do music and telephone I would look into that it may be a much cheaper less stressfull lption go to best buy and ask them to pair ur phone with the display and try it out

I drive a Pontiac Solstice, so I have a GM radio. I guess it could have a mute wire, but I'm not sure where I'd found out if it does or not. If it does, your solution does sound pretty good to me; however, it seems like a bit too much hassle for my liking. I guess I'll just stick with the wire going to my AUX in until bluetooth becomes more mainstream and works better.

tdpolo26

Reaction score
If it haS onstar it has a mute wire and the in wires and if in doubt a nice gm dealer will generally tell u the advantage to built in is full integration with the radio everything aUto switches for phone calls