Car cigarette lighter to multiple USB adapter?

Reaction score
I've been using the official Motorola micro USB charger but I'd like to be able to charge multiple devices at the same time, like my Bluetooth speaker as well as my DROID X. I think it would be nice to also have more ports available like if a passenger wants to charge something, too. I know there are lighter socket adapters that just have two USB ports at the back. Do you have any particular recommendations? I'd like to have like, four if possible but two is at least better than one (and more flexible).

Another idea I had is to somehow integrate a cheap little four port USB hub to the deal.

Anyone tried anything like this? Does the hub "dilute" the power too much?

Thanks bros!

KinderwoodLabs2

Reaction score
Well, you have several options. You can search for and buy an adapter online, buy one from Verizon, or go to your local Walmart or Best Buy (or other electronics store) and pick one up. They all work, but there are some that charge all the connected devices at once and some that don't. It just really depends upon if that's important to you and how much you want to spend on one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

techguru

Reaction score
The problem with the dual port adapters is that they all seem to only allow a device to draw .5 amps. This is enough to charge a DroidX that is essentially idle, but if you stream music, use the GPS, or use the camera as a dash cam, it will probably just break even, and if you do any two of these (or if you use 3G mobile hotspot) you will still lose power.

You are better off getting lighter socket splitters and using multiple 1amp USB adapters (Scoche makes one, available at Target and most auto parts places).

Alan

OP
OfficeLinebacker
Reaction score
The problem with the dual port adapters is that they all seem to only allow a device to draw .5 amps. This is enough to charge a DroidX that is essentially idle, but if you stream music, use the GPS, or use the camera as a dash cam, it will probably just break even, and if you do any two of these (or if you use 3G mobile hotspot) you will still lose power.

You are better off getting lighter socket splitters and using multiple 1amp USB adapters (Scoche makes one, available at Target and most auto parts places).

Alan

Lighter socket splitters? That seems so much clunkier...are the female ports at least on cables and not this gargantuan thing?

Now that I think about it I do want to get a cable cos if I have something in the lighter socket I can't have a cup in the cup holder.

Thanks

KinderwoodLabs2

Reaction score
Lighter socket splitters? That seems so much clunkier...are the female ports at least on cables and not this gargantuan thing?

Now that I think about it I do want to get a cable cos if I have something in the lighter socket I can't have a cup in the cup holder.

Thanks
Yes, they do make socket splitters like that (with cables instead of an enclosed case). We have one and, if I remember correctly, we found ours in the Auto section at Walmart. I'm sure you could probably find one elsewhere too. Good luck!

HayWire

Reaction score
Pardon my asking., which speaker do you use with the x? Do you prefer it to a headset? I have a jawbone but may want a speaker instead.