Can't watch video files - Droid X

Renado11

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, and am unable to watch most types of video files, either streaming or downloaded. I am able to view .wmvs, but can't view any .mpg, .3gp or .mp4 files. Do I need a special player to be able to view these kinds of files? If I try to play a .mpg that I have downloaded, I get a message that says "Error - File cannot be displayed of played." Any suggestions? Thanks!

timrock

Reaction score
you can try, rockplayer, mvideoplayer or act1. each player is different in its own way.

D

dvdcatalyst

I have a Droid X, and am unable to watch most types of video files, either streaming or downloaded. I am able to view .wmvs, but can't view any .mpg, .3gp or .mp4 files. Do I need a special player to be able to view these kinds of files? If I try to play a .mpg that I have downloaded, I get a message that says "Error - File cannot be displayed of played." Any suggestions? Thanks!

Android devices can only handle a couple of different formats, and even then these formats have certain restrictions in order to be playable.

Reaction score
I've been using the arcMedia app for viewing .avi files and it works great. Not sure about the others, but it might solve your mp4 problem at least. Worth a try, it's free.

Also, I've noticed that some videos have, as part of their names when you download them, letters in brackets at the end (i.e. [VTV] ). My DX wouldn't play them with the brackets in the name, but as soon as I renamed the file and got rid of the brackets it played fine. Something about them that the DX doesn't like.