Can't update or download apps from google store after ICS 4.0.4 upgrade

bit_sun

Reaction score
Hi
I am unable to update or downloaded apps from google play store since i have upgrade from GB to ICS. (on my Motorola Razr XT910)
No problem with internet browsing or even searching for apps in play store. It just not letting me upgrade or download from store :mad:
Any ideas why and how we can resolve the issue.

Thanks
BIT

joshxdroid

Reaction score
bit_sun said:
Hi
I am unable to update or downloaded apps from google play store since i have upgrade from GB to ICS. (on my Motorola Razr XT910)
No problem with internet browsing or even searching for apps in play store. It just not letting me upgrade or download from store :mad:

Thanks
BIT

Clear the cache partition, and do a facory data reset. You'll wasn't to back up you're important information like pictures and music. Move it to the external sd card and remove it. You could also simply try clearing the play store app data.

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks
BIT

Here's what I would try:
  1. In Play, Menu>Settings - see if Update over Wifi only is checked. If you're on data, not wifi, that might be your problem.
  2. Go to Menu>System settings>Apps> All & Clear cache and datahttp://www.transformerforums.com/forum/# for Google play store. Then do a reboot.
  3. If that doesn't work, do the same thing for Google services framework.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What she said ^^

OP
B

bit_sun

Reaction score
Thanks for replying Josh ..... but i dont want to do factory reset as i have lot of downloaded apps that i will again have to download. Too much hassles :(

OP
B

bit_sun

Reaction score
Here's what I would try:
  1. In Play, Menu>Settings - see if Update over Wifi only is checked. If you're on data, not wifi, that might be your problem.
  2. Go to Menu>System settings>Apps> All & Clear cache and datahttp://www.transformerforums.com/forum/# for Google play store. Then do a reboot.
  3. If that doesn't work, do the same thing for Google services framework.

Sally ...Thanks so much for your inputs

Wifi option is not checked and i have also deleted cache and restarted..... after restart google store asked me to accept for terms and conditions ...that i did but still not letting me update or download. when i click on download or upgrade it just start processing for 30-45 min and then throws error.
I didnt get the 3rd option about google servive framework.....please explain that in more details.

Thanks & Regards
BIT

OP
B

bit_sun

Reaction score
Hi Sally
Got the google service framework ......and deleted the cache and data.
Now when i tried to start google talk .....my friend list is empty. I read somewhere that one should be able to login to google talk to use google play store.

Please suggest
Thanks
BIT

SallyC

Reaction score
I don't blame you for wanting to avoid an FDR if you can help it. It might come to that, but let's check a couple more things. Just move down the list, if one thing doesn't fix it, try the next. I'm just brainstorming here with things I'd try myself and hope it worked.
  • Yes, you must be able to sign into Google Talk to download apps on Play. Make sure your device is signed into Google Talk by following these steps:
    1. Go to your phone’s app launcher, and press the Talk app.
    2. If you’re already signed into Talk, press Menu, and then touch Sign out.
    3. Launch Talk again to sign in.
    4. If you can't sign in, or downloads on Play are stuck at "starting download" go here to troubleshoot.
  • Go into Settings>Data Usage make sure Set mobile data limit is not checked.
  • Go to Settings >data usage> Google play>View apps setting >Content filtering>Allow Apps rated for and make sure they're all checked.
  • Go to Settings>Apps>All and select Google play store. Uninstall updates. Then start Google Play Store go to Menu>My Apps and accept updates.
  • Go to Settings>Accounts and sync>select your google acct>Menu>remove account. Reboot and add the account back in
If none of this works, I would have no other advice but an FDR. When doing the FDR you should get a question about if you want to wipe the internal memory and also the external card. Also beware that the phone has two SD card directories: sdcard (internal memory) and sdcard-ext (your SD card). Some folks remove the external before doing a FDR to be sure nothing happens to it. I didn't and mine was okay, but you will want to be aware of this. If you have files installed and configured I'd make a back up on your pc of both directories as it may safe you some grief later on.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
bit_sun said:
Thanks for replying Josh ..... but i dont want to do factory reset as i have lot of downloaded apps that i will again have to download. Too much hassles :(

I definitely understand not wanting to. I didn't want to either. But a lot of people have have to do it. Sally is a pro, she'll guide you through this.

SallyC

Reaction score
I definitely understand not wanting to. I didn't want to either. But a lot of people have have to do it. Sally is a pro, she'll guide you through this.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, joshxdroid. I'm relativity new at Android, but I'm good at googling for answers! :p But I'm a bit stuck and, if this doesn't work, I think we're looking at the FDR you were suggesting.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
SallyC said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, joshxdroid. I'm relativity new at Android, but I'm good at googling for answers! :p But I'm a bit stuck and, if this doesn't work, I think we're looking at the FDR you were suggesting.

I agree. I would try your suggestions first. But with those kind of problems it seems like an FDR is the only way to go. Plus who knows what other issues there may be. An FDR well clean all that up. I know it's a pain, but it is so worth it sometimes

OP
B

bit_sun

Reaction score
I don't blame you for wanting to avoid an FDR if you can help it. It might come to that, but let's check a couple more things. Just move down the list, if one thing doesn't fix it, try the next. I'm just brainstorming here with things I'd try myself and hope it worked.
  • Yes, you must be able to sign into Google Talk to download apps on Play. Make sure your device is signed into Google Talk by following these steps:
    1. Go to your phone’s app launcher, and press the Talk app.
    2. If you’re already signed into Talk, press Menu, and then touch Sign out.
    3. Launch Talk again to sign in.
    4. If you can't sign in, or downloads on Play are stuck at "starting download" go here to troubleshoot.
  • Go into Settings>Data Usage make sure Set mobile data limit is not checked.
  • Go to Settings >data usage> Google play>View apps setting >Content filtering>Allow Apps rated for and make sure they're all checked.
  • Go to Settings>Apps>All and select Google play store. Uninstall updates. Then start Google Play Store go to Menu>My Apps and accept updates.
  • Go to Settings>Accounts and sync>select your google acct>Menu>remove account. Reboot and add the account back in
If none of this works, I would have no other advice but an FDR. When doing the FDR you should get a question about if you want to wipe the internal memory and also the external card. Also beware that the phone has two SD card directories: sdcard (internal memory) and sdcard-ext (your SD card). Some folks remove the external before doing a FDR to be sure nothing happens to it. I didn't and mine was okay, but you will want to be aware of this. If you have files installed and configured I'd make a back up on your pc of both directories as it may safe you some grief later on.

Hi Sally
Many thanks again for the inputs.
I tried all the option and none of them worked. Infact i lost few apps linked to my google account when i deleted the account as suggested ..... No hard feelings :) its just for the information if anyone try the same way.
Seems like factory reset is the only way left.
Also to add to it ......i read somewhere that motorola has deleted adodbe flash player in ICS update and this is the reason for this app upgrade/download problem. Any ideas abt this?
Regards
BIT

SallyC

Reaction score
You can download missing apps from Play, assuming you purchased them there. If you got them from Amazon you will need to go to Menu>Settings>Security and check Unknown sources, then go to Amazon (or wherever) and get them. If you do an FDR it will ask you if you want to get your Google apps as part of the process.

Flash should work on ICS, although it won't be supported beyond that. You may need to go to the Play store and download it since the ICS upgrade.

That might be worth trying before an FDR if that's the problem. Hope that's it!

jaye712

Reaction score
If ur not the account holder(cell),it would be easy to figure that out..if u are then iam stomped,hope u find ur fix..even get a replacement if u have too

DROIDRAZR ICS215