Can't update, no space???

SteveIrv

Reaction score
Recently I've tried t update some of my apps and my D2G is telling me (Amazon apps) that there's no room on my 32gig SD card. I know I've got a BUNCH of music on the card, along with album art, etc. But.....what I've also found on the card now is bunches of apk's for apps I've got installed. Do these apk's need to stay on the card, can I delete them and not lose the installed apps, ????

I've been going through the music on the card and deleting all the country and western I can find (don't listen to it, don't need it on the phone).

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Head to Settings → Applications → Manage Applications. Tap “On SD card” in the top bar. Now go through the applications with the checkmark, one by one, and tap “Move to phone” for each one. You have about 6GB internal memory available for the applications, there's no need to keep them on the SD card.

I have no clue why 4.5.x firmware defaults to SD card for application storage.

OP
S

SteveIrv

Reaction score
I'll take a look at that again......I thought I already had migrated all my apps back to the phone itself.

Looks like I've got a bunch of apps there, none show a checkmark in the boxes.....I'll try selecting them and moving them back to the phone....

OP
S

SteveIrv

Reaction score
Oops....since none are checkmarked, my only option showing is to move them back to the SD card....

So...in manage apps, I'm not showing any apps on the SD card. But when I use Sandisk's manager app I'm showing all kinds of apk's on the card.

???

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Where exactly on the card are those APK files?

Applications installed to the SD card usually reside in android_secure. Outside that directory, it's probably stuff you downloaded.

OP
S

SteveIrv

Reaction score
That's the thing, the only place I'm seeing them is in Sandisk's Memory Manager app and it gives no indication where the files reside, except "on the SD card"....

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Well, since your SD card cannot be accessed from a PC, and somehow your phone cannot run any of the file managers, I don't think there's a way to tell.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
doesn't sound like space is you problem, apps don't take much space, and you deleted some things
you could try wiping cache/data for amazon app
can you use google market?

OP
S

SteveIrv

Reaction score
I can access the card from my PC when I hook up a usb cable, and I can run a file manager on the phone. What I'm unable to do is FIND the apk's that I see as residing on the card when I use Sandisk's Memory Manager.

Part of my "trouble" here is my misunderstanding/ignorance of what an apk is. Is it the actual application or is it the install program? For example, if I was looking at software on my PC, I wouldn't want to delete .exe files that were inside an application's program directory....but I wouldn't have a problem deleting .zip files sitting in a download directory.

Yesterday I plugged the phone into my PC and removed (what I thought was) all the Country and Western music from my phone's card (I'm not a C&W fan <shrug>). Went back to the phone later and from the music player looked like all that music was still there. Went through the list using a long press on each song or album to bring up a mini-menu and deleted them again. I'm thinking that another issue of just deleting music from my phone via the PC is that it leaves album art sitting on the phone. I'm thinking it wasn't the best move I ever made when I copied the music to the phone and it didn't build it's own album art for a lot of the songs so I found an app that did it for me......and now THOSE files are probably bigger, taking more room than I need.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I think you are focusing on wrong area,
how much space does your phone say is left on SD card

OP
S

SteveIrv

Reaction score
Currently 188mb after I deleted all the cowboy music.... it's a 32gb card

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
well that's not much left, but still enough for 50-200 apps
amazon may have a min space req

do you have a usb cable and a computer? connect phone to usb and change connection to mass storage, then delete more files through explorer

do you use google music, could google be downloading your music back to your card?

OP
S

SteveIrv

Reaction score
well that's not much left, but still enough for 50-200 apps
amazon may have a min space req

do you have a usb cable and a computer? connect phone to usb and change connection to mass storage, then delete more files through explorer

do you use google music, could google be downloading your music back to your card?

Now THIS makes some sense........I've seen that in some of my music directories I've got duplicates of all the songs, I've been deleting them. I don't use google music so will probably see if I can delete it.

OP
S

SteveIrv

Reaction score
did you try doing a search from pc for .apk?

a .apk file is an app, but on you card it's it's not installed (just a backup), unless it shows up in settings/apps

And after all the YEARS I've been in the computer biz I should have thought of this...it's not magic.....the phone/card shows up as an external device on my PC...I can search and see what I can find.

And thanks for the info about the apk's on my card being backups (since all my apps show as being installed on the phone itself. Now I can just delete them and recover that space.