Can't take videos

mordocai

Reaction score
I'm new to the custom ROM scene, so sorry if the answer to this seems obvious. I currently cannot take videos with steel droid 3. I am able to open the camera app and switch to video, but when I hit record just nothing happens. Is this because of the lack of hardware video encoding or is there something else going on?

Also, where would I be able to see if there is any progress on getting this and the other video issues (youtube videos extremely choppy, i'm sure that is encoding issue too) working?

Finally, while i'm not up to it yet, I am a programmer and I'd be interested in how I might be able to contribute to custom rom development. I haven't done any android development to speak of yet, but looking at getting into it.

EDIT: Sorry, using ICS Steel droid so v5.6

Last edited:

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Hmm... Have you cleared the data/cache? That will sometimes solve problems like that. I have no idea, you may just have to wait for an update to the rom, I've had problems like that.

As to developing, just find a dev team or dev that's looking for someone to work with. :) More devs are always a good thingDancingNexus

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The list of known bugs says problems with video codecs.

* KNOWN BUGS *
*​
Better Camera function (FFC, Face detect, etc in progress)
*​
*​
HW Video Codecs (in progress)
*​
Bluetooth on but not connected = loss of all audio (in progress)
*​
*​
In-call screen sometimes goes completely black, but hard number keys still work
*​
*​
Keyboard backlight DOES work, but is connected to using the display brightness slider
*​

OP
M

mordocai

Reaction score
The list of known bugs says problems with video codecs.

Yeah, that's why I asked if that was the reason it wasn't working in my OP :). Video Codecs is kind've broad so I wasn't sure if taking videos was included in it, or only watching.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
mordocai said:
Yeah, that's why I asked if that was the reason it wasn't working in my OP :). Video Codecs is kind've broad so I wasn't sure if taking videos was included in it, or only watching.

Yeah codecs usually equate to the play back of videos, however most ROMS I have seen it is always the camera and camcorder that are not working.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.