Can't log in to google account?

chickenhawk

Reaction score
I just sbf'ed back to 2.3.340 en route to installing a rooted version of gingerbread on my droid x. However I cannot log into my google account. I am 100% positive that I entered the right credentials because I a)tried at least 5 times and b) was able to log into my google account on my computer with the same credentials. The error message I get says that google could not verify my username and password, yet I can log on with the exact same credentials on my computer. What gives?

[EDIT] Another thing I noticed was that some of my applications constantly have an error message that says they have to force close. The two that I've noticed so far are Lookout mobile security and handcent messaging.

Last edited:

CD95YJ

Reaction score
did you by chance do a data wipe before or after sbf'ing? if not boot into recovery, for froyo it's power while holding down the camera button and home button, then when the triangle with the ! in it shows up hit the search button. This will take you to stock recovery and you can do a data wipe from there.

OP
C

chickenhawk

Reaction score
I did do a data wipe beforehand. I also figured out what the issue was. I have 2-step verification turned on, so I needed to use my application specific password.

KNetwalker

Reaction score
Application Specific Passwords

I just solved this issue myself.

You'll need to go to google.com/accounts

Then click "Edit" next to "Using two-step verification"

In there, click "Manage application-specific passwords"

There you can create a new application. Name this "Android Phone" or something like that. You will be given a new password to enter into that phone, IT WON'T BE YOUR REGULAR GOOGLE PASSWORD.

After entering that new password(specific to the phone) you should be all connected!

bswnyca

Reaction score
Thanks - have been going crazy for 2 days trying to log into google voice since doing a hard reset on my factory maxx hd. would be nice if there was a hint somewhere that you had to use an application specific password for the app. And yes now I am connected. couldn't have done it without you [and lots of frustration along the way.]

bswnyca

Reaction score
thanks again KNetWalker - got a replacement phone and same problem. glad I happened over to droidforum which always has the answers.