Can't import phone book to Nav System on my car

okiebirdnerd

Reaction score
Please help before I lose my mind! For some reason I can't get my phone book to transfer in my car. It will sync/pair so I can use the Nav system to answer an incoming call by pressing the answer button on my steering wheel but nothing else works. My Galaxy S4 is an Android 4.2.2. I have a 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD and I synced and imported my phonebook with my HTC phone (android 2.4.1) in 09 when I purchased my car. My S4 phone book wouldn't transfer so I kept using the phone book from my HTC that was already there. Then out of the blue the other day my HTC phone book was gone and now I'm without a phonebook. I installed two apps that people said helped and neither have helped. They are Bluetooth auto connect and Bluetooth Phone book. I exported my phonebook to my Sim card on 11-3-13 and during the transfer when I select the 11-3-13 folder it says 'Phonebook can not be transferred" It also says that with the one called 5-6-13 which I assumed was the one from the HTC but maybe that's the first one I tried when I purchased my phone..If I select All Groups or any other folder it has an error saying " Error occurred while loading. If the imported book is missing information please try importing again" And when I try again I get the same error. The folders with the error messages are not on my Sim card. I'm at my wits end and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The one thing I noticed that was different with the Samsung when going through the setup is I never found a place to add the ‘Pairing Pin’ on the phone like I did with the HTC. On my car I put 0000 ( Is there a place to add a pairing Pin for the S4) I sure didn’t see it. I have spent hours reading and posting messages on Android & Honda forums. Does the issue have anything to do with having gmail address book? If I could somehow just get 20 of my regularly used phone numbers to transfer I’d be tickled pink! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

OP
O

okiebirdnerd

Reaction score
I finally got my Galaxy S4 to import my phonebook to my Honda Pilot Nav system. I first had to remove all the phonebooks I named in the Navigation set up.( I had 4 that I named but never transferred) Here is what I did:
I press the button on the steering wheel and say “phone setup’ The HFL (hands free link) will say ‘Phone setup options are’ status (that tells you the names of all the phonebooks you entered), Pair, Edit, Delete and List. Say ‘Status” so you can hear the exact names of all so you know what names to tell it to delete. Keep repeating the option to ‘delete’ until it tells you there are no phonebooks listed. Now make sure you Bluetooth is on and Say “Phone setup” and this time chose and say “Pair”. It then tells you to say a 4 digit code and to remember the code for when the phone asks for it. Now look on your phone and when your phone finds the HFL select it,(you might have to press the Bluetooth icon off and on again to get the window to pop up where you must enter the code then select okay. You MUST enter a code for the phonebook to import! It will pair without a code but phonebook won’t import) Then it tells you ‘a phone has been found’ and asks what you want to name your phone. Give it a name. It then tells you the phone has been paired and returning to the main menu. You might need to turn your car off and remove the key then restart before if the import phonebook is grayed out.
To import phonebook, look in your navigation system for where you select to import the phonebook. ( I press the Info button) Press the ‘import phonebook’ button to start the import... Your phone might have to allow..(look for popup on phone) After contacts import, it tells you how many names transferred and you select okay. Mine transferred only the contacts from the folder called My Contacts. I had a few different lists. All my contacts happen to be Google and a few of them I added photos to so I’ll know who it is when they call. Neither of those things affected the outcome. I’d read that they might cause problems.
I kept my car running a long time because I was trying to figure out why mine wouldn’t transfer. You don’t want to run down your battery or get asphyxiated in your garage if the door is down more than a few minutes.
I hope this will save a few people the heart ache I went through. I even downloaded a few apps to help and uninstalled them before it finally all came together.