Address Book Sync in Car?

tenguns

Reaction score
Don't Droid users want to sync thier address books with their car's bluetooth based systems? Is entering in 1000 phone numbers manually appealing :)!

Who's got answers on how to transfer the Droid address book to a car system requesting the transfer?

Running a JBL/MP3 based GPS in a Toyota 4Runner and the ability to sync an address book is a must.

Who's working on an app to ftp, send, transfer the Droid's address book via bluetooth to another system?

I know the Droid isn't exactly a business freindly system (although all the other features of the phone are awesome) - but it needs to be a phone first - with solid phone features - and this one must be out there. HELP - PLEASE?

cyber3d

Reaction score
Bluetooth File Transfer

I have not tried it yet. I have a Pioneer system but I should be able to figure it out.

Anyway, here is a write up I found in a MB forum.

"This might work for other phones. Should work for google phones.

i just bought my car on thursday 9/17. I setup the bluetooth and it works good but no phonebook!? Everytime i try it says phonebook is empty AHH

I have a Tmobile Google G1 phone and i have been super frustrated i cant get my phonebook or contacts through the car. G1 has no options to send contacts through bluetooth or syncing phonebook. Ive read on some other post some phones cant do it, and/or some phones can do one contact one by one. Or some had to use an older phone that did work? And whats more annoying is you cant just add it through the car itself. So i was determined to find a solution and i did.

Step 1: After youve done the inital setup of your bluetooth to ur car. On your phone go to your Android Market and download and install a program called "Bluetooth File Transfer"

Step 2: Go to your computer and sign into your google account that your phone is registered too. On the left under inbox should be "Contacts", click on that.

Step 3: In the upper right corner theres IMPORT|EXPORT|PRINT. Click on "EXPORT" and selection options All contacts and "vcard format" and hit the export button and save the "contacts.vcf" file to like your desktop or something. This will save all your contacts to an electronic file.

Step 4: Connect your phone to the computer via your USB cable and mount the SD Card. Once mounted, copy that vcard file you saved onto your phones SD Card. Unmount the phone and go sit in your car.

Step 5: Put your key in and let the car start up and ready your phone. Once its ready, click on the "TEL" button, use the control and then go to the TEL option in the lower left corner. Theres an option to "Recieve Business Cards" or something like that click on that and it should pop up "cards recieved: 0" or something like that, now go back to your phone.

Step 6: Open up that "Bluetooth File Transfer" Program, and under "local" tab at the top, it shows all the files and folders on that SD card, go down to that "contacts.vcf" file you saved and put a check to it. Then hit the menu button and click on "Send" and it brings you over the the device tab. Hit the menu button again and hit "search". it should find your "MB Bluetooth" since the car is waiting to accept file transfers. click on it and bam it should transfer ALL those contacts over. All your contacts are now from your phone to your car. No doing it one by one or using another phone. hundreds+ contacts in seconds.

Now when you go to phone list, your contacts should be there so you dont actually have to go thru your phone first and hit send or something.

Hope this is a helpful write up and actually helps some people out!"

android4ever

Reaction score
My 07' Acura TL Type-S was able to download my contacts ONLY after I got the Droid since it comes with Bluetooth 2.0

My G1 never could since apparently I needed Bluetooth 2.0. I just paired my phone to my car and after that I selected the "Import Phonebook" option and that was it. Not sure how your systems are setup.

Benton

Reaction score
My car has MS Sync and it took the Droid's address book without an issue, 1332 of them.

AdilSD

Reaction score
My BlueAnt ST3 syncs fine but the number of entries keeps increasing, I have about 300 contacts and already 900 on the ST3. Still works fine though.
Adil

OP
T

tenguns

Reaction score
Cyber3D - thanks!!! It worked the first time to my amazement!!! Just followed the directions - set up the file in the root directory - selected and "Bingo" - were' dialed! Thank you. That was the last on my list of must haves - other than getting flash (which I understand will be available shortly on the next upgrade maybe) and doing a do-it-your-self MP4 conversion of a full length movie so I can store a small library of plane-ware...

Now - just waiting for some fixes - need to make the camera sw kick Iphone's camera AXX!

Like to be able to program one of the keys on the phone to disconnect a call when done - without going back to the phone menu... think the car will do this now so may not be an issue anymore.

Need to see if there's a way to get pics to really take advantage of the screen... get tools to rotate and manage sdcard gallery...

Get the memory upgrade when the new cards come out and see if there's a way to use that space for apps and file / media storage... 32 is a nice number.

When they come out with google earth for the droid....

I'm set.

Again - thanks. Droid and 4Runner integrated and ready for battle.

Silver Member
Reaction score
this isn't a limitation of the DROID per se, as it is the system that you're syncing with. my car's nav, for instance, does not have the capability to REQUEST addresses. a process has to be initiated on the phone's side for the nav to complete the request.

the app bluetooth file transfer (although one i'm not a fan of), does a fine job of creating an output file and tranferring it to my nav unit.

there are radios/nav/etc that can initiate the request, but the key is, that device HAS to initiate the request for the DROID to understand wth is going on.

cyber3d

Reaction score
Alas, my Pioneer AVH-5900p does not initiate a request for phone book addresses.:frown:

OP
T

tenguns

Reaction score
Alas, my Pioneer AVH-5900p does not initiate a request for phone book addresses.:frown:

Isn't there a way to either just send it anyway - if you clear out the connection? I've heard that some units only recognizes the address book on initialization... so you'd have to take all bt connections out - delete on both your Pioneer and your Droid and upon syncing that first try - send using the FTP??

I'll see if I can find the post about it on android forum.

Sure hope it works for ya.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like said earlier in this thread. You need an app for that. Bluetooth file transfer app does it. The app is clumsy and I seem to remember it having ads. Just set it up, send the address book and uninstall it.

get quad

Reaction score
My head unit doesn't take more than 100 contacts, phone has close to 200 total :(

NUSKINMD

Reaction score
Bluetooth File Transfer

I have not tried it yet. I have a Pioneer system but I should be able to figure it out.

Anyway, here is a write up I found in a MB forum.

"This might work for other phones. Should work for google phones.

i just bought my car on thursday 9/17. I setup the bluetooth and it works good but no phonebook!? Everytime i try it says phonebook is empty AHH

I have a Tmobile Google G1 phone and i have been super frustrated i cant get my phonebook or contacts through the car. G1 has no options to send contacts through bluetooth or syncing phonebook. Ive read on some other post some phones cant do it, and/or some phones can do one contact one by one. Or some had to use an older phone that did work? And whats more annoying is you cant just add it through the car itself. So i was determined to find a solution and i did.

Step 1: After youve done the inital setup of your bluetooth to ur car. On your phone go to your Android Market and download and install a program called "Bluetooth File Transfer"

Step 2: Go to your computer and sign into your google account that your phone is registered too. On the left under inbox should be "Contacts", click on that.

Step 3: In the upper right corner theres IMPORT|EXPORT|PRINT. Click on "EXPORT" and selection options All contacts and "vcard format" and hit the export button and save the "contacts.vcf" file to like your desktop or something. This will save all your contacts to an electronic file.

Step 4: Connect your phone to the computer via your USB cable and mount the SD Card. Once mounted, copy that vcard file you saved onto your phones SD Card. Unmount the phone and go sit in your car.

Step 5: Put your key in and let the car start up and ready your phone. Once its ready, click on the "TEL" button, use the control and then go to the TEL option in the lower left corner. Theres an option to "Recieve Business Cards" or something like that click on that and it should pop up "cards recieved: 0" or something like that, now go back to your phone.

Step 6: Open up that "Bluetooth File Transfer" Program, and under "local" tab at the top, it shows all the files and folders on that SD card, go down to that "contacts.vcf" file you saved and put a check to it. Then hit the menu button and click on "Send" and it brings you over the the device tab. Hit the menu button again and hit "search". it should find your "MB Bluetooth" since the car is waiting to accept file transfers. click on it and bam it should transfer ALL those contacts over. All your contacts are now from your phone to your car. No doing it one by one or using another phone. hundreds+ contacts in seconds.

Now when you go to phone list, your contacts should be there so you dont actually have to go thru your phone first and hit send or something.

Hope this is a helpful write up and actually helps some people out!"
I did this and the message on my Lexus was transfer failed. Any other ideas?

xBBuser

Reaction score
Thanks sent to cyber3d also from me. I was able to follow his info and get my contacts to transfer to my Kenwood dnx7100 Nav unit that has the Bt-100 bluetooth setup.
My previous phone, which was a Blackberry 9550, I couldn't get my contacts to transfer. Even after going through BB tech and Kenwood tech, nothing would work and was told my bluetooth unit was too outdated. When I upgraded to the Droid I really figured there was no way. That is until I stumbled across this thread and decided to give it a try.

Many thanks cyber3d I owe you a few beers for this...:icon_ banana:

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
my Poineer DEH-P7000BT was able to connect to my DROID and transfer 200+ contacts on its own with out the use of Blue Tooth File transfer. I guess I got lucky.

now to see if I have Voice Dialing feature with it as I have not tried it yet.

-=Jason=-