Can't download email attachments since upgrading to ICS...

hikerguy

Reaction score
I have a Droid Bionic that I upgraded to ICS a few days ago. All-in-all, I like what I see. HOWEVER, there is one VERY annoying thing that has happened. Before the upgrade,
I could access my gmail accounts (using the original browser) and download any attachments. Now, I can't download ANY attachments located in my gmail accounts. I have tried the
original browser, as well as Dolphin with no luck. I CAN download attachments found in my Yahoo account, so this tells me this is a Google/Gmail issue.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? This is a serious problem for me, as I access my gmail accounts often and have a need to be able to download attachments often as well. I have
to get this working. Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't know the cause, but you may wish to try Chrome. Google is going the way of Chrome anyway and it's a fine browser, better than the stock or Dolphin in many ways.

The other option is to uninstall any updates to the stock browser and re-update.

Good luck! :biggrin:

unbesorgt

Reaction score
I just did some testing with the Gmail app and it seems to depend on the type of file sent. When I attached a text file or Word doc, it allowed me to download them with no problems. I was even able to preview the Word doc. However, when I attached a zip archive, it blocked it with a message saying that files of this type could be malicious. When I sent a jpeg attachment, it displayed the image inline with no option to download.

One possible factor I just remembered is that I'm running Gmail 4.2. So I guess that could be a workaround for you if you're rooted or willing to root, as long as you don't need to download zip attachments.

<edit> Just realized you were attempting this via web browser instead of the app, so I tried all four tests again using Chrome. I was actually able to download all four files this time, including the zip archive and the jpeg, with no problems at all. So Chrome is probably your best bet. It also happens to be an awesome browser for ICS.

Last edited: