Can't do Google Maps Searches with Mobile Network switched off

drschmuck

Reaction score
On my HTC Incredible, it was possible to switch off the 3G network (with a convenient widget from Settings) in order to conserve battery life, while still maintaining the ability to search and navigate with Google Maps. My 4G Thunderbolt doesn’t seem to allow this. If I turn off the network, Google Maps doesn’t function for searches or navigation. Is there a fix for this?

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised to know that your incredible worked that way. I was under the impression that these android phones used the data connection to download new map data as you traveled.

OP
D

drschmuck

Reaction score
No, if GPS was on and the Mobile Network was off, the Google Maps and Navigation function were still active. The same does not appear to be the case with the 4G functionality, at least as it exists on the HTC Thunderbolt. It's unfortunate, because it means keeping the Mobile Network on while using the phone for GPS on a driving trip, which cuts hard into Thunderbolt battery usage (which I am fast learning to be a real issue anyway..)

blazednova

Reaction score
im sorry but i understand how you could navigate without network data. and if the battery life is the main reason you turn mobile data off, why don't you just charge while your driving?
As for the battery life issue. have you rooted it? after i rooted mine i can easily get 16+ hours of battery life with the stock battery, and gps lock is always instant. if you haven't checked out what rooting is and what it can do i would strongly recommend you look into it. IMO this is the place to look

OP
D

drschmuck

Reaction score
thanks for your reply. Of course I do charge while driving, but the phone charges more slowly than it does from an outlet, and from my experience with the Incredible, I found keeping the data network off except when needed to a good way to extend battery life. I will look into rooting the phone, as per your suggestion. Hope I don't screw anything up in the process...