Cannot Boot Into Recovery

VingInMedina

Reaction score
I rooted my Droid after receiving the OTA update to 2.2 and I've installed ROM manager and Flashed Clockwork Recovery and made a nandroid backup. Now I am trying to get BusyBox installed.

My problem is booting into recovery mode. When I try it, either from ROM Manager or by using 'adb reboot recovery' the phone displays a picture of and ! with a triangle around it. I can pull the battery and restart the phone and it is ok, but I can't seem to get it into recovery.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

EbE404

Reaction score
I rooted my Droid after receiving the OTA update to 2.2 and I've installed ROM manager and Flashed Clockwork Recovery and made a nandroid backup. Now I am trying to get BusyBox installed.

My problem is booting into recovery mode. When I try it, either from ROM Manager or by using 'adb reboot recovery' the phone displays a picture of and ! with a triangle around it. I can pull the battery and restart the phone and it is ok, but I can't seem to get it into recovery.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rather than doing something wrong, you may be running into a common RM issue with flashing recoveries. What you are seeing is the stock recovery.

Boot the phone as normal, get into RM, and flash Alternate Recovery, then re-flash CW Recovery.

Out of curiosity, did you root using Easy Root? I've heard a lot of people who used that reporting a similar issue, in which case I'm not sure the fault is purely with RM, but should be able to be fixed the same way.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Actually it sounds like you haven't disabled Flash Recovery Service. Search for that term in a post by me as I posted instructions telling "how to".

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

EbE404

Reaction score
Actually it sounds like you haven't disabled Flash Recovery Service. Search for that term in a post by me as I posted instructions telling "how to".

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

That is a brilliant discovery and post! This is going to help a lot of people, thanks for the find and thanks for sharing.

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Reaction score
Ok, first off, thanks for the replies and the advice. It's always great to know there are people out there willing to help.

In answer to the first question, yes, I used Universal Androot (v. 1.6.2) to root my phone.

I looked up the post by EbE404 on the Flash Recovery Service. Very well written by the way. I renamed the recovery-from-boot.p in the /system folder to recovery-from-boot.p.not. Then I ran ROM Manager and Flashed Clockwork Recovery again. Now when I try to boot into recovery mode I get the 'M' logo, it blacks out for a second and then I get the 'M' logo again, but this time it boots up normally. So, I must still be messed up somewhat.

Should I have not tried to flash Clockwork Recovery again?

Bye the way, I have been able to install BusyBox, so now I really just want to be able to boot into recovery should the need arise.

EbE404

Reaction score
I looked up the post by EbE404 on the Flash Recovery Service.

While I really wish I could take credit for that write up, that hard work was done by-and the honors and thanks should go to-MotoCache1.

I second the sentiment-very well done and helpful.

I think you're OK with what you have done, the only thing I can suggest is that ROM Manager can be occasionally flaky in flashing recoveries (a search will reveal a few threads about that). Usually, this can be overcome with a few re-flashes until it "takes".

I'll leave the door open for Moto to comment if there are any comments from that side.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I renamed the recovery-from-boot.p in the /system folder to recovery-from-boot.p.not. Then I ran ROM Manager and Flashed Clockwork Recovery again. Now when I try to boot into recovery mode I get the 'M' logo, it blacks out for a second and then I get the 'M' logo again, but this time it boots up normally. So, I must still be messed up somewhat.

Should I have not tried to flash Clockwork Recovery again?
Your recovery flash just didn't go well. Honestly I've never liked the idea of using flash_image to write the recovery image (the way ROM Manager does). If I want to update my recovery image I use RSD Lite or sbf_flash. I don't know if flash_image is just flaky, or if it doesn't verify, or what, but for whatever reason, the applypatch program (that FRS uses to update recovery) seems to have a 100% success rate while flash_image ... not so high.

dirtysanchez

Reaction score
Ok so something a little diffrent im using UD 7 and have been using rom manager but not to Flash or Backup but only for Clockwork to install Watermark But now for some reason when trying to get into SP or clockwork it fails to load then times out and reboots back into the phone and keeps going like nothing is wrong. I want to use SP i perfer it over clock but at this point will use whats works.

I also tried to rename recovery-from-boot.p but both the file explore & ADB cant seem to find the file so that didnt help me. Also to give some background i Have been rooted & on froyo from the first leak & have flashed many many times before this so its a little frusting at this point JUST WANT IT TO WORK LIKE IT HAS MANY MANY TIMES BEFORE:icon_evil:

Thank you in advance

Fixed:
Ok I Think i got this one fixed for me my issues where not the same as what is described here my issues is between UD 7 & Rom Manager which UD dosent like RM & it also has most of the same settings are in the UD settings that are in RM so if you use RM to flash Recovery Clock or SP know that it will eventuly stop working & needs to flash with in the UD settings