Can you use the flash from the camera as a flashlight?

Reaction score
its funny how popular a topic this is on many websites. I came to the conclusion yesterday that you would have to trick the phone into thinking it was autofocusing or capturing to get the led to fire. the api's getSupportedFlashModes() doesn't return the TORCH or RED_EYE modes, and it looks like the led doesn't work at all in the camcorder mode. Im starting to think we may be waiting for an update before this is possible, but I hope some hax0r proves me wrong.

andjarnic

Reaction score
Same conclusion 1033. There isn't API support to control the flash. Perhaps Android 2.1 will add it in as more and more devices are going to add flashes to their phones. I gotta say this dual LED thing is bright. It could work very well as a simple LED flashlight for a few feet or so in front of you. Wouldn't expect it to replace my small multi-LED 3xAAA battery flashlight tho. But in a pinch, it could be helpful.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Search the market for torch. First result is mototorch led. It allows the flash to be used as a flashlight. Also allows it to strobe.

cb30266

Reaction score
There is an app in market place called Mototorch that does use the flash as a flashlight and also a strobe light.

Also it has Morse code just in case you ever take a three hour tour and get stranded on an island.

CoreyT

Reaction score
I have the mototorch one, and it works great.
I setup the widget for it too so I do not have to open the app up and choose either regular flashlight, strobe, or the morse code option.

The widget lets you just tap it and turn on the light.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use Droid light, I don't remember why I picked it but it was free and helped me find one of those little metal dowels that hold up a cabinet shelf the other day. Came in handy.

bikesrok

Reaction score
MotoTorch works on my Droid

Just wondering if you can use the flash when not taking pictures?

I have this and it works fine. Manages the camera LED.

It has been significantly improved (can now send Morse Code, fwiw ;-) with updates. No problems at all on the Droid though some have complained about the display blanking. Imho, turning off the display makes it easier to use as a flashlight. Definitely helps illumnate dark corners when trying to plug peripherals into a system under a desk. :)

< david

OyVOid

Reaction score
I don't know if this is what you looking for, but I have the app DroidLight by Motorola. It uses the camera flash as a flashlight and the screen displays a light bulb. You just touch the light bulb to turn the LED off and on.

It is way cool. I use it to guide me to the bathroom instead of turning on my regular lights.

superglen99

Reaction score
No one mentions motor torch until 2 pages into this thread? Wow that was the first app that came to mind. I have it and love it. I use the Morse code feature to text iPhone is gay haha