Can you use any micro USB charger?

Reaction score
for the droid. I have other phones that have this charger and rather than buy one for work wanted to know if I could use one of those in the office to charge the phone.

zeeboid

Reaction score

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm using one i got with my Moto Headset, but when i left it charging for long, it wigged out and went crazy, so i'm not sure if that was just because the charger, which i'm sure it was, or if it was just my phone, which i doubt.

Zennmaster

Reaction score
for the droid. I have other phones that have this charger and rather than buy one for work wanted to know if I could use one of those in the office to charge the phone.

Short version, from my experience, Not Necessarily.

There are a number of chargers on the market that provide less than 850MA current. The Droid seems to need at least this much to charge properly. My wife has an LG ENV3, and it seems I can use this charger on my Droid just fine. I bought one off of Ebay (Yeah, I know), that provides 500MA, and it makes my Droid go wiggy, to the point where I am not comfortable using it. I would suspect that any Blackberry charger should work fine.

YMMV, but I would advise caution.

naman919

Reaction score
Short version, from my experience, Not Necessarily.

There are a number of chargers on the market that provide less than 850MA current. The Droid seems to need at least this much to charge properly. My wife has an LG ENV3, and it seems I can use this charger on my Droid just fine. I bought one off of Ebay (Yeah, I know), that provides 500MA, and it makes my Droid go wiggy, to the point where I am not comfortable using it. I would suspect that any Blackberry charger should work fine.

YMMV, but I would advise caution.

Just looked at my BB charger and it's 700MA so it should be fine. I've used it once before, with caution, and it seemed ok. YMMV.

butch350

Reaction score
I'm using one i got with my Moto Headset, but when i left it charging for long, it wigged out and went crazy, so i'm not sure if that was just because the charger, which i'm sure it was, or if it was just my phone, which i doubt.

Do you think the your head phones have the same size and type
of battery that the droid does? I DON'T THINK SO. :icon_ devil:

jimnutt

Reaction score
You need not only sufficient current (>500ma), it also needs to be regulated at 5V +/- 0.25V. A lot of the cheap aftermarket adapters are not regulated and they can cause the Droid to go crazy, particularly toward the end of a charge cycle when the phone isn't drawing as much current and the voltage rises about 5.25V.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Do you think the your head phones have the same size and type
of battery that the droid does? I DON'T THINK SO. :icon_ devil:

Actually it doesn't matter about battery size, it does have the same port, and that's all that matters, i found out the reason it went crazy was because of an app that i installed that didn't agree with it, so when i removed it, it worked fine. The charger works just as it's supposed to. It was a bluetooth moto headset, not headphones, big difference.

Plus i posted that in late november, so since then it's been working great.

soloking

Reaction score
I bought a charger for walmart and it was a micro usb damage my charging portand the phone was very unresponsive acting weird. I think motorola chargers are specially made each phone

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a charger for walmart and it was a micro usb damage my charging portand the phone was very unresponsive acting weird. I think motorola chargers are specially made each phone

I have used about 5 different micro usb cables, and none of them have damaged my phone. Micro USB is the standard in the cell phone industry now.

There are different rated cables though.

mikes

Reaction score
The Droid follows the USB charging spec. In simple form:
1.4.5 Dedicated Charging Port
A Dedicated Charging Port is a downstream port on a device that outputs power through a USB connectory, but is not capable of enumerating a downstream device. A Dedicated Charging Port is required to output at a minimum current of IDCHG at an average voltage of VCHG.

A Dedicated Charging Port is required to short the D+ line to the D- line.
IDCHG is 500 - 1500 mA.
VCHG is 4.75 - 5.25 V.

Some USB "chargers" don't short the D+ and D- lines, so the Droid won't draw power from them. Many el-cheapo ones don't meet the voltage/current specs in all conditions.

The Droid should work fine with a port which only puts out 500 mA, but I believe it will take advantage of more to charge faster, if available.

mec6250

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use the micro usb charger I got with my Verizon Mifi interchangably with the charger I received with the Droid. The phone charges nicely on either.