Can you delete email on phone/online??

yadasacker

Reaction score
I've searched through every menu, called a tech person at Verizon so this is my last chance.

Is there a way to delete an email from my gmail account while on my Droid and have it also be deleted from my inbox on my computer?

I'm absolutely loving the phone so far but this is one feature that hopefully I just haven't figured out yet.

Thanks

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your using a 3rd party program to get your email, i'm not sure. If your on the gmail account and you delete a message, and then you log into gmail, it will not be there.

OP
Y

yadasacker

Reaction score
I'm using the streamline gmail account on the new Droid. The phone is directly synched with my gmail account, however, if I delete an email on the phone, it still shows up in my gmail inbox when I log online.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did a test about 5 minutes ago, did nothing special, and when i deleted it from my inbox it deleted out of my gmail inbox also.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Once you download the mail to your computer... it's on your computer... if your using a web browser to view your e-mail on your pc then it should be gone too.

You need to be able to understand the basics of e-mail here....

OP
Y

yadasacker

Reaction score
Once you download the mail to your computer... it's on your computer... if your using a web browser to view your e-mail on your pc then it should be gone too.

You need to be able to understand the basics of e-mail here....

Maybe you're not understanding my question. I'm not some tech idiot and consider myself somewhat savvy.

I'm not downloading any emails to my computer. Quick rundown of what I'm trying to do here.

1. I'm currently on my computer with gmail open using firefox browers. Email from X is sitting in my inbox.

2. I'm looking at email X in the streamlined email set up on my Droid that is specifically made for gmail.

3. I would like to delete X email from my phone and have it deleted from my inbox as well when looking at it on my computer.

Is this possible or not? This has nothing to do with me understanding the basics of email. It's me understanding if this is a function of the Droid.

On many other smartphones, you can delete your email simultaneously from your phone as well as your inbox if you were looking at it on a computer.

OP
Y

yadasacker

Reaction score
I did a test about 5 minutes ago, did nothing special, and when i deleted it from my inbox it deleted out of my gmail inbox also.

Hmm... thanks, there must be some setting that's not correct, but I've went through every menu option and can't find anything that I should change.

gouranga24

Reaction score
I just received a gmail email on my droid before i showed up on my mac, and i deleted it on my droid, it never showed up on my mac. running firefox 3.5.5 with gmail notifier. don't know if that helps, but i didn't do anything outside of the basic setup on the droid.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean any disrespect... what you are doing should work just fine... you might check your settings on the droid as there is an option to delete the mail from the server as well on regular accounts, I haven't tested this on gmail myself.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only thing i added that wasn't a standard option was confirm delete, i wouldn't want to accidently delete **** i need lol, even though it should end up in the trash.

OP
Y

yadasacker

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean any disrespect... what you are doing should work just fine... you might check your settings on the droid as there is an option to delete the mail from the server as well on regular accounts, I haven't tested this on gmail myself.

Could you point me in the direction of where the option to delete from the server is?

I literally can't find it anywhere.

Thanks

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think there really is an option, it syncs the two mailboxes, when you delete one it should delete the other.

There are some people reporting that the first attempt to sync mail addresses didn't work 100%... so try removing the email and adding it back and trying it again.

jay80z

Reaction score
If you go into the Settings>Accounts & Sync, make sure you have background data check as ON and Auto-Sync in the on position.

If you have these options checked off, any email you read and delete on your phone will no longer be in your inbox if you log on to your computer.

OP
Y

yadasacker

Reaction score
If you go into the Settings>Accounts & Sync, make sure you have background data check as ON and Auto-Sync in the on position.

If you have these options checked off, any email you read and delete on your phone will no longer be in your inbox if you log on to your computer.

Ugh, I give up.

I have these settings saved. Maybe it's not instantaneous and take a while, so I'll log back into my gmail account in 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for the help folks.

OP
Y

yadasacker

Reaction score

Ugh, I give up.

I have these settings saved. Maybe it's not instantaneous and take a while, so I'll log back into my gmail account in 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for the help folks.

And that was the issue, I just don't have patience!! There's a bit of a lag time between the two.