Can The Droid Shut Itself Off?

NVash

Reaction score
Okay, let me explain what just happened today. Maybe someone can make sense out of it.

3am - I go to bed with my cell phone fully charged and everything fine with an alarm set for 10am. I have class at 1030am.
8am - I wake up, naturally, check my phone for the time and go back to sleep.
10am - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
12pm - I wake up, naturally. I check my phone for the time and it wont come on. I usually slide it out and hit a button on the keyboard, any button. It wont come out. I hit the power button, nothing. I hold it down, nothing. I pull the battery out and then put it in, it comes back on after holding the power key. I find outs its after noon, Ive missed class and dont know whats going on.

So I have a question. My Droid has been known to act up on occasion, force closing way more than necessary, IMHO, but shut itself off? Never. So Im wondering, has anyone had any problem like this? Did my Droid shut itself off while I was sleeping or did someone sabotage it?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had mine just randomly reboot, but never shut off completely and not come back on...

Maybe the battery did go dead in the night? Maybe you left GPS or the Sync feature turned? If it was on the charger all night, even if it did shut off it would've came back on by itself...because the Droid CAN'T be off while charging, it will always come back on...

PyroManiac

Reaction score
Well...

Someone may very well be playing a trick on you...or the droid may ahve screwed up. I had several freezing up issues..until I downloaded "Free Advanced Task Killer" from market. If the phone's memory is being hoged the phone will get bogged down and wont be able to toggle on. Also a great thing to consider purchasing is the Charging cradle...makes a cool looking Alarm clock display, and won't let the phone screen turn off. I believe the forums store has one for sale for cheaper than the verizon people do. Droid Accessories at The Droid Forums Store. I would also recommend always making a backup of your phones current state and use NANDROID built in back up utility that comes with the phone.

see my post here and feel free to ask me any question you might have about it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...01-usb-connection-pc-definitive-answer-2.html

OP
NVash

NVash

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

It didnt die in the night. When I checked it at 8am the battery was still full and even at noon when it finally came back on it was full. For it to be messing up isnt so far fetched but Ive never heard of a Droid just shutting itself off and not coming back on. I had no apps running or anything, that I knew of. It was just idle, right next to me as I slept so the alarm would immediately wake me.