Can I upgrade to 4G internet without getting a new phone?

Jerdub93

Reaction score
I got the DX2 right when it came out and afterward I heard that it was 4G capable (still don't know if thats true or not) but I only have 3G. I don't know much about this but is there a way to upgrade my current phone to 4G without getting a new one?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The X2 is 3G only. No way to upgrade to 4G without a 4G capable phone.

infantry667

Reaction score
Yeah 4g is in the hardware not the software.

SBF'd (sent blazingly fast) from my Hulkified X2

azdrifter

Reaction score
The X2 would have to have a 4G sim card slot and there is no such slot available,meaning it is not 4G capable:icon_evil:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
You can feel good about the X2, it doesn't suffer any data drops. ;-) :D

robert70

Reaction score
I love my x2 probably the best handset I've ever had, and its a real struggle as to whether to upgrade or not.

Arodnum1

Reaction score
I love my x2 probably the best handset I've ever had, and its a real struggle as to whether to upgrade or not.

Went from the X to the razr, loving it so far, although I stream alot so 4g is a must, battery life is on par with my dx too, about 12hrs off a 100% charge, the only other phone I would consider would be the gnex, hope you get your conundrum sorted out

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah 4g is in the hardware not the software.

SBF'd (sent blazingly fast) from my Hulkified X2

Correct. 4G is a technology that was introduced later, after 3G, and requires a completely separate radio chip to encode and decode the advanced communication protocol. It also communicates on a completely different radio frequency spectrum, not unlike the difference between AM and FM radio bands.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

bolski

Reaction score
I would wait to upgrade to 4G for a while I hear data is dropping alot with them. Let the 4G system get stable.

Yup, three outages this month alone. Glad I'm on 3g, although my 3g coverage where I work has been SLOW. That, or they are capping me because I do go over 2gb a month with the streaming I do.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score

I came from the x2 and was on the fence too...If I were you I'd stay with x2....I regret jumping to Razr so quickly...I love the Razr but the bugs battery life and data dropping really take away from the experience....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

motcher41

Reaction score
I would wait a few months to a year to go to 4G as raw Dodge said the lack of 4G working all the time is not a good thing plus some 4G phones do not step down to 3G so you will have no data