Can I set text notifications to be different for each contact?

yawg07

Reaction score
Basically, what I want to be able to do is have it so different contacts have different sounds when I get a text from them.
I know that I can set different contacts to have different ringtones, but I don't see an option for notification.

If not, is there an app that does it?

fatpat3

Reaction score
Basically, what I want to be able to do is have it so different contacts have different sounds when I get a text from them.
I know that I can set different contacts to have different ringtones, but I don't see an option for notification.

If not, is there an app that does it?

I do not think you can on the basic SMS program on the droid. Use Handcent SMS, you can customize the led color for different contacts and you can customize the ringtone as well so it makes it easy to figure out who is texting you

kmarmet

Reaction score
that's why I miss my blackberry. it had the ability to do that

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think you can also do this with the Missed Call application.

Appears increasingly that people who think the Droid doesn't do something as well as Apple or Blackberry just haven't found the apps that do what they are looking for. I've found most of mine quickly and easily searching Market. Pay attention to # of downloads, ratings and comments and you will have little trouble finding apps that actually work and do what they say.

kmarmet

Reaction score
I think you can also do this with the Missed Call application.

Appears increasingly that people who think the Droid doesn't do something as well as Apple or Blackberry just haven't found the apps that do what they are looking for. I've found most of mine quickly and easily searching Market. Pay attention to # of downloads, ratings and comments and you will have little trouble finding apps that actually work and do what they say.
chill out guy..i HAVE looked for several apps on the MARKET to fulfill this need, INCLUDING missed call, and nothing is close enough to the way bb has done it. im not retarded. i love my droid and it blows any blackberry out of the water, but i like somethings about my old bb.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
chill out guy..i HAVE looked for several apps on the MARKET to fulfill this need, INCLUDING missed call, and nothing is close enough to the way bb has done it. im not retarded. i love my droid and it blows any blackberry out of the water, but i like somethings about my old bb.

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Missed call can assign different LED's and ringtones, by individual contact, to incoming SMS and call alerts. If as opposed to ringtone you want some different audible sound, then I think there are apps that can add sounds to your ringtone list.

Last edited:

kmarmet

Reaction score
chill out guy..i HAVE looked for several apps on the MARKET to fulfill this need, INCLUDING missed call, and nothing is close enough to the way bb has

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Missed call can assign different LED's and ringtones, by individual contact, to incoming SMS and call alerts. If as opposed to ringtone you want some different audible sound, then I think there are apps that can add sounds to your ringtone list.
i had it awhile ago and uninstalled it...but i just tried it again and it has made a lot of improvement since i last used it..thanks

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
but i just tried it again and it has made a lot of improvement since i last used it..thanks

LOL, admittedly the a program not originally doing what you wanted and updating later is kind of a gray area and hard to keep up with!

kmarmet

Reaction score
but i just tried it again and it has made a lot of improvement since i last used it..thanks

LOL, admittedly the a program not originally doing what you wanted and updating later is kind of a gray area and hard to keep up with!
very. I am constantly uninstalling and installing because of this lol

Nightmares

Reaction score
Handcent is easily the best text messaging app for the Droid.

I love it, when i first installed it I didnt like it much. Ended up going back to the regular default messaging. But re-installed it later on and customized everything to my liking. Now I love it and can't imagine not having it.

techRob

Reaction score
I tried out Handcent simply because when i first got my droid the messenger app (process?) kept crashing, and i thought it was defualt "messenger" app itself. So i thought I'd try a 3rd party one; i loved the tweakability of it...but after awhile it still kept crashing. Long story short, after a phone swap out, and then factory reset on the 2nd phone, it seems the issue lay with a couple other apps screwing with the messenger process. Either way, Handcent is one I will ALWAYS recommend to any new droid owner..it's, just, so, powerful! :D

baby3tx

Reaction score
does Handcent kill you battery thro? bc texting is the only thing i do on my phone