Can I reverse the automatic upgrade 4.0 -->4.1?

StanH

Reaction score
Droid RAZR MAXX HD
I received an automatic upgrade from Verizon that converted my Ice Cream Sandwhich operating system(4.1) to Jelly Bean (4.1). I did not want that upgrade because I prevents me from my need to sometimes use the FoxFi/PdaNet (WiFi) app to access the internet with my laptop by WiFi.

Q1 Is it possible to reverse the upgrade?

Q2 Assuming the PdaNet still can enable Bluetooth and USB access to the internet thru the phone, does anyone know the relative speed of those two options? (The WiFi option was 5100 kbps.)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Droid RAZR MAXX HD
I received an automatic upgrade from Verizon that converted my Ice Cream Sandwhich operating system(4.1) to Jelly Bean (4.1). I did not want that upgrade because I prevents me from my need to sometimes use the FoxFi/PdaNet (WiFi) app to access the internet with my laptop by WiFi.

Q2 Assuming the PdaNet still can enable Bluetooth and USB access to the internet thru the phone, does anyone know the relative speed of those two options? (The WiFi option was 5100 kbps.)

TOTALLY BLEW THAT ONE! I apologize to the OP, but I missed that it was the MAXX HD, and NOT the regular MAXX. GoCliffGo05 set me straight! so simply follow the instructions he and KaChow mentioned.

For the second question, I am not sure of speeds, but you could also consider rooting and doing the Hotspot hack to get true WIFI sharing...of course, it's against the Verizon's terms and conditions of use, but if you're not a pig about it and don't use 100GB per month, they're not going to bother you.

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

KaChow

Reaction score
Droid RAZR MAXX HD

Go to this link, click here. I have the utility available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Follow steps 1-4, the 0.7.2 update (mentioned in step 5)is not the JB update, which it is okay to install. Once, things are in good shape, I recommend going into Settings> Apps> All and disable the Updater, as it will continue to remind you to update constantly to JB 4.1.1. Disabling Motorola Services is also helpful.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Go to this link, click here. I have the utility available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Follow steps 1-4, the 0.7.2 update (mentioned in step 5)is not the JB update, which it is okay to install. Once, things are in good shape, I recommend going into Settings> Apps> All and disable the Updater, as it will continue to remind you to update constantly to JB 4.1.1. Disabling Motorola Services is also helpful.

Hey KaChow, you may want to revise your post linked above. In the instructions you mention "Begin by downloading MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR UTILITY.", yet you are actually referring to the "MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR HD UTILITY 1.10". This may be a bit confusing for the newbies.

KaChow

Reaction score
Hey KaChow, you may want to revise your post linked above. In the instructions you mention "Begin by downloading MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR UTILITY.", yet you are actually referring to the "MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR HD UTILITY 1.10". This may be a bit confusing for the newbies.

Thanks for mentioning the errors in my post, I could certainly see how the missing "HD" could confuse a newbie. If there are any other inconsistencies please let me know, as the threads purpose is to be as simple as possible without any confusion. :icon_cool:

@StanH
if you are interested in finding out more about the HotSpot or Entitlement Hack, I have thread a that discusses it. The HotSpot Wireless Tether, USB Tether and my favorite Reverse Tether, link is here.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for mentioning the errors in my post, I could certainly see how the missing "HD" could confuse a newbie. If there are any other inconsistencies please let me know, as the threads purpose is to be as simple as possible without any confusion. :icon_cool:

@StanH
if you are interested in finding out more about the HotSpot or Entitlement Hack, I have thread a that discusses it. The HotSpot Wireless Tether, USB Tether and my favorite Reverse Tether, link is here.

You've done a great job of keeping things simple for the masses... Keep up the good work! :rating10:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

@StanH

Love the new Sig image...please see my PM. Thanks! :biggrin:

OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
Since I can't create a hotspot with my current setup with Jelly Bean, I tried to connect to my laptop by USB using PdaNet after installing drivers with Motorola Device Manager. That didn't work. I couldn't get a Bluetooth connection to work either. I hope I just made mistakes.

I determined that the phone's settings indicate that Verizon charges for all three methods -- WiFi, USB, and Bluetooth.

Q - Could it be that PdaNet is prevented from connecting the phone to a computer for all three connection methods?

OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
I appreciate the links and advice for backing out of v4.1 and etc.

Here is my current thinking:
I just realized that I have a simple option. My wife also just received a new Droid RAZR MAXX HD with v4.0 and it is not activated yet. She is not a sophisticated user and will probably use it for little more than telephone and email.

If her phone could be kept at v4.0 we could trade phones during the occasional times that I need a tether. Then I could let my phone stay with v4.1 and hers at v4.0. I would install PdaNet on her phone for WiFi, USB, Bluetooth. Is this practical?

Three things concern me about this approach:

(1) That one of us would inadvertently forget and accept the upgrade to 4.1

(2) That Verizon would upgrade to 4.1 without asking.

(3) That Verizon would stop supporting the v4.0 with maintenance and security fixes.

Any comments about this plan? Am I missing anything?

pdaniel219

Reaction score
If your wife won't care, why don't you just trade phones all together, and never accept the update?

OP
S

StanH

Reaction score
If your wife won't care, why don't you just trade phones all together, and never accept the update?

I am considering that too. The reason I hesitate is that I have not studied and compared the capabilities of the two operating systems. If 4.1 happens to do more than v4.0, I am more likely to take advantage of that, as her main interest is in telephoning and checking email. I need to find a good comparison in order to decide.

Another factor is that I need the tether only for an hour at a time once or maybe twice a month -- to access the web pages during powerpoint (Open Office version) presentations. That is also why Verizon's pricing doesn't make sense for me.

tpaege1

Reaction score
too bad i cant go back to ics, i got my phone new with JB on it from the start .... or can i?

tpaege1

Reaction score
well ive done all that i can,its ics rooted but cant get Safe strap to open when i reboot, i can go to flash in recovery mode but SS dont open any help, sorry im a
little slow on this part