Can a Verizon Droid 4 BE rooted?

xmiinc

Reaction score
I'm on a Mac running 10.8.5. I spent a ridiculous amount of time attempting my first root this past weekend, after collecting all the necessary files and instructions from cyanogenmod. I have some coding experience, am reasonably comfortable with the command line, and followed the instructions meticulously--including prepping the phone (Smartactions, USB, MTP, etc) How did it go? Short answer: I never got off first base. I learned a lot along the way, including finding out that 'unlocking' a phone can mean many different things. From what I understand, to root a phone the unlocking I'm interested in is in unlocking the bootstraploader, yes? Verizon makes a big deal about 'all our 4G phones have been unlocked since 2012' but it seems that only refers to the sim card, not the all-important bsl.

What happened was that I couldn't get the Razrblade script to execute anything. After leaving the dl in the Download folder and after unzipping, the script would stop at every user-query but otherwise never did a bloody thing to the phone, and I'd just get dumped out after it reached its end. My phone is still intact and usable.

Before I go into any more detail, I just wanna find out: Is it even possible to root a Verizon phone? I'm way past my 2 year plan term, and I wanted to do this in an attempt to squeeze a last bit of performance from an otherwise becoming-laggy phone. But if its not possible, I'm prepared to move on to a new (unlocked) phone. Thanks.