Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have a VERY large project coming up at work that will require me to take hundreds if not thousands of photos... I would prefer not to use my Note 4 for this.... I have an old Nikon S4000 that I just pulled out but I can't say I have ever been all that impressed with the focus on it.. I think that there has been something wrong with it since day one....

However I am looking for a decent camera.... Hopefully in the $200 range maybe a little more if it's a great deal...

Can anyone explain the benefits of a DSLR over a nice point and shoot? 99% of ANY photos I take are all of still images.... The project for work is going to be all still images. Some good light some not so good... Any hands on recommendations? I remember in the past always being very impressed with the quality of Sony cameras but it's been ages since I have much of any pictures other than from a smartphone....

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm not into cameras.. You may want to check with @wicked as I think he has a pretty handle on them..

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I haven't been into digital cameras for quite a few years now but I'm thinking (for what you need it for) that should do the job nicely. You really can't go wrong with a Sony.
Good luck with your decision.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Most of our cell phones these days use Sony hardware for the camera.

MP's only take you so far. Shutter speed, Aperature size, Pixel size, and things like that really make a difference.

Just like they touted the ULTRA pixel camera on the 6P. The camera on this phone performs better than higher MP cameras in lower light because the pixels are larger, leading to less chance of distortion.

That said, I have to agree (with limited knowledge these days as well) that you can't really go wrong with Sony, especially if this work project is your main reason for spending the money.

Check out DxOMark by DxO | DxOMark. They're the ones who rank our smartphone cameras and that everyone points to as a definitive third party expert on quality of a camera.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Overall Sony standalone cameras are a little slower between photos than others, as a brand. It's a complaint you'll see on reviews no matter the model and it's been that way since phone cameras were vga.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Well I got the camera and am getting VERY hooked on taking pictures.... Don't we have a dedicated photography site? I am looking for some good input on a beginner camera that can really take great photos... Hopefully there are some other members here who may be able to offer some input.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You might this interesting and useful.

digital-photography-school.com/understanding-light-a-series-of-tutorials/

The more we learn about how to manipulate light the more fun photography gets

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
Miller6386

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
You might this interesting and useful.

digital-photography-school.com/understanding-light-a-series-of-tutorials/

The more we learn about how to manipulate light the more fun photography gets

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

I am debating on loading up the bag with batteries and going for a walk. Super bright sun with perfect blue skies with everything covered in snow. I was just looking at ILC cameras and see you can burn through some SERIOUS cash real quick. I am going to play with this one for a few weeks and see if I get bored with it or not.. The last thing I need to do is dump a bunch of money into another "hobby" that just sits in the closet.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am debating on loading up the bag with batteries and going for a walk. Super bright sun with perfect blue skies with everything covered in snow. I was just looking at ILC cameras and see you can burn through some SERIOUS cash real quick. I am going to play with this one for a few weeks and see if I get bored with it or not.. The last thing I need to do is dump a bunch of money into another "hobby" that just sits in the closet.
I started with a Sony p&s that has manual mode and lots of f stop, shutter speed, etc settings I can do by hand then I moved up to a Pentax X5 bridge camera . My brother has a Rebel I can have at any time but no lenses but I haven't taken him up on it because the Pentax fits my skills and hobby. Once I got good with manipulating light I lost interest pretty quickly in taking the next step up. I just use it like a point and shoot for the most part now because fishing started calling my name for my next addiction, err I mean hobby then I found a very good kayak at a steal of a price and that combined with fishing kinda took over everything. I use a 5' Ugly Stik with a Lews carbon fiber bait caster. But I still keep an eye on the plethora of batteries in my camera case in case I get the bug back with the Pentax. I still go out some nights and get photos of the moon or hike the woods near my house looking for stuff every now and then but not daily like I used to.
The coolest thing I bought when I was in the frenzy was a Wi-Fi sd card. No more removing the card or plugging the camera in. I transfer my photos to my phone, tablet or desktop over Wi-Fi. It's really handy to set it up when shooting and have it auto sync with the phone. Point, shoot, transfer, upload to social media or cloud without taking my phone out my pocket

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited: