camera pics ONLY viewable on phone

droidrazr11

Reaction score
I'm brand new here. I have a droid razr and it's a pretty good piece of equipment, but I have discovered a problem and need your help. Any pictures that I take with the onboard camera cannot be viewed when I USB to any computer.

If I USB the phone to my work, home or anybody else's computer and I access the thumbnails from either the storage card or internal memory, there are no thumbnails to preview. If I click on an icon for any of my pics, I will get a message in Windows pic and fax viewer that says "Preview not available". I cannot move any of this icons or pics from the phone to the computer. It appears they live only on the phone.

I can access any pics that I have in my stored or saved pics folder. If I moved a pic from my computer to the phone, it's fine, but if the pic was taken with the phone, it can ONLY be viewed on the phone.

I have talked to some tech friends and I have already deleted the thumbnails folder and allowed it to repopulate. It did not have any effect. I had another person tell me the only alternative is to take the phone back to Verizon and have it wiped clean and reprogrammed. Basically start over. I hate to lose all my pics and stuff.

Any ideas or help that you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SallyC

Reaction score
I'm not sure about trying to use a computer to preview pictures on the phone but you certainty can copy them to your computer and view them.

When I connect my phone to my computer, Picasa automatically offers to import them. But you can also manually copy them.

Have you tried this?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I use an app called AirDroid. You can connect to your pc via wifi and see everything!

OP
D

droidrazr11

Reaction score
encryption

The pics aren't viewable at all. You can copy them but there is nothing the see when they get moved to any other piece of equipment.

The answer is encryption. Anyone who turns on the encryption function in the "Location & Security" section of "Settings" causes all of the data (and photos) to be encrypted. You have to turn off data encryption. Then the photos will be viewable and pre-viewable when the phone is connected to a computer via USB, WiFi or whatever.

SallyC

Reaction score
The answer is encryption .

So the question we should have asked is "Have you turned on encryption in your Settings menu?"

I'll file that away for the next time I play Jeopardy. :)

Thanks for letting us know.