Camera Issue - Focusing

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I absolutely love the camera on my Note 4. It's one of the best smartphone cameras out there, and it takes fantastic pictures in almost any setting. I take a lot of pictures, mainly for work, so having such a capable camera on a mobile device is fantastic.

But over the past month, I've increasingly run into an issue - the camera won't focus on objects more than 6 feet or so away (macro shots are fine). It's not always a problem, but I'd say about 25% of the time, the camera just won't focus on objects that aren't right in front of it. It will focus for a moment, then it will go blurry. It doesn't matter what camera app I use. I've even done multiple FDRs, but nothing has fixed it. The issue started before the Lollipop update, so it's not related to that.

So I did some digging online, and it seems that several Note 4 owners have run into the same problem. The only way they've been able to fix it is to get a replacement device.

I called up Verizon customer service today, and sure enough it is a known issue. Neither Verizon or Samsung have a fix for it beyond replacing the device. So a certified like new replacement Note 4 is on its way to me. I've had great experiences with replacements from Verizon in the past (they all looked and performed as if they were brand new), so I'm hoping for the same here.

Here's the moral of the story - if you experience problems with your Note 4 being unable to focus when taking pictures, it's a known hardware issue. Get it replaced under warranty.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
My wife was fortunate to receive a good one. It was one of the first things she tested since we had heard about the defective cameras on that model before receiving hers.

She is an avid photographer and hasn't mentioned anything about it acting weird lately so it must still be good.

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My wife was fortunate to receive a good one. It was one of the first things she tested since we had heard about the defective cameras on that model before receiving hers.

She is an avid photographer and hasn't mentioned anything about it acting weird lately so it must still be good.

Mine was fine for over four months. I bought mine at launch and didn't have any problems until a few weeks ago. Others have had similar issues months after receiving the phone. Hardly anyone had had issues at the start.

The Note Edge has the same module with the potential for the same issue. So if it pops up for either of you, you'll know what it is. Thankfully it doesn't seem to impact the majority of device.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Mine has issues as well. What works for me is putting the camera face down on your lap or any surface and then putting it back up to what you want to shoot.. it's a hassle and a pretty big drawback

Sent from my Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Haven't noticed any issues with mine, but I also haven't taken many pictures at all lately. Will be keeping an eye on this situation though. I didn't pay good money for all of my shots to turn out crappy.

OP
bsweetness

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Mine has issues as well. What works for me is putting the camera face down on your lap or any surface and then putting it back up to what you want to shoot.. it's a hassle and a pretty big drawback

Sent from my Note 4

I'd look into getting a replacement. Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

vintage2714

Reaction score
My issue was different my camera kept trying to focus it still took great pictures. But I had to wait until it would clear up to take a shot. Took it in replacement on the way.

chubby22

Reaction score
Had the same issue. It started acting up after 2 months or so. Would have to either shake it or lightly tap on top, to get it to focus. Just took at it back and got a replacement, and now the camera works like it's supposed to.