Calling all tetherers!

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Another poll... Please only answer if you tether regularly.

If you don't know what radio you have installed, and you haven't installed a radio, you have MR1.

Multiple choice, so if you've tethered with both radios (MR1 and MR2/2.5), check all that apply.

Last edited:

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
I tether my Xoom using my Droid almost everyday.

[_] Motorola Droid: Latest Miui
[x] Motorola Xoom: Xoom Zone
Tapatalk

kumicho

Reaction score
Ok, I'm 100% stock (including not installing the most recent update, thank god), and hadn't actually tried out the mobile tethering in a while. Yesterday hooked it up and while it worked for the first little while, I soon lost 3G/4G signal, and it operated *barely* on 1x. In fact, it practically didn't work at all (losing signal left and right).

I thought it was something to do with Verizon's normal data outage, but now that you mention it, maybe VZ's doing something to clamp down on the unauthorized tethering?

jseah

Reaction score
I am running the second update (with free tethering disabled, although I have signed up for the unlimited tethering for $30 a month). I have noticed that there is now a service running on my phone called Tethering Guard. What is this?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
To the first guy (sorry I'm bad with screenames lol), no one knows exactly why the Thunderbolt is having this problem. Here's what I think: The Droid Charge and LG Revolution don't appear to be having this problem, so naturally I think, "what's the difference between the Thunderbolt and the other two LTE phones?". The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that the Thunderbolt has special hardware and I assume a special setup to allow for simultaneous voice and data over 3G. It's the only Verizon phone that can do this. So I'm thinking it has something to do with that, though countless screwing around with the EPST settings have me irritated and baffled to say the least. I did some googling and it seems the current consensus is to go into EPST and change the Rev. A setting from eHDRP (or w/r it's called) to "Enabled". eHDRP just helps handoff from 3G to 4G, and there are some reports that it disables 4G for people in such areas of the country. Nevertheless, I set Rev. A to "Enable" and I still lose my 3G connection when say, gaming for example.

I noticed this 3G connection issue with my new Thunderbolt, not my old one, so I'm re-rooting my old bolt to see if I have the data connection issues of my new bolt.

crapple_h8er

Reaction score
I tether all the time with whatever the T-bolt has on it stock, non rooted, with the latest OTA update, and I have no issues and the connection and speed is great

using PDANet :D

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I am running the second update (with free tethering disabled, although I have signed up for the unlimited tethering for $30 a month). I have noticed that there is now a service running on my phone called Tethering Guard. What is this?

I assume Tethering Guard is the service that, when you turn on Mobile Hotspot or Mobile Broadband Connect, accesses your account via its 3G/4G connection and checks to see if you're actually signed up for tethering. That's how the new Mobile Hotspot system works, they use the app to verify you are authorized to use it...Kinda opens the door to loopholes and hacked versions of the app imo, but in your case it's a perfectly normal and acceptable background process.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I tether all the time with whatever the T-bolt has on it stock, non rooted, with the latest OTA update, and I have no issues and the speed is great

Which reminds me, for anyone out there as determined to solve this problem as I am (I'm not getting much of any feedback from radioland lol), my Droid X and Droid Incredible (3G phones mind you, keep that in mind!) lost their data connections just as the Thunderbolt is, except the Thunderbolt, at least for me, loses its data connection via USB or WiFi tethering, so it's not that Android issue that makes WiFi conflict with Mobile Data connections (Advanced WiFi settings, then set sleep policy to "never") it really actually looks like a legit network thing that Verizon has to fix.

crapple_h8er

Reaction score
I tether all the time with whatever the T-bolt has on it stock, non rooted, with the latest OTA update, and I have no issues and the speed is great

Which reminds me, for anyone out there as determined to solve this problem as I am (I'm not getting much of any feedback from radioland lol), my Droid X and Droid Incredible (3G phones mind you, keep that in mind!) lost their data connections just as the Thunderbolt is, except the Thunderbolt, at least for me, loses its data connection via USB or WiFi tethering, so it's not that Android issue that makes WiFi conflict with Mobile Data connections (Advanced WiFi settings, then set sleep policy to "never") it really actually looks like a legit network thing that Verizon has to fix.

mine use to do it every once in a while too, only when tethering, but it hasn't happened lately (maybe because of the last OTA update? I dunno). but a restart use to bring the data back online and all was well

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Anyone with this issue use something other than the stock HTC Mobile Hotspot/Verizon Hotspot app? Wirless Tether for Root Users or Barnacle?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score

mine use to do it every once in a while too, only when tethering, but it hasn't happened lately (maybe because of the last OTA update? I dunno). but a restart use to bring the data back online and all was well

I really need like feedback from people lol, I need to hear from everyone out there, what configurations work, which ones don't, does tethering work with Barnacle and the like (I'll test that soon...)... At this point I'm thinking it's nothing to do with the EPST settings. I just don't know lol...But I'm posting hellalot so I'll try to "shut up" until I get a solid solution, I am starting to babble about this. Fun though, right?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So my old Thunderbolt all nice and rooted on a stock ROM from before that new mobile hotspot app update of July, so I have legitimate free tethering, and I didn't lose 3G, gamed on Call of Duty for hours just fine...

Someone out there try a simple factory reset, I know I know, it NEVER does anything, but try it and report back?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So I called Verizon on an unrelated matter and decided to ask about my tethering issues, since technically I am tethering legitimately. Apparently there's a filter in place that cuts off internet to your phone if it sees an IP address other than the phone's using the data network.

The guy I talked to sounded like he knew his s*** and ya know, what he said made sense and is certainly plausible. But if this is true (and I believe it is), we ought to figure out a workaround, Barnacle, Wireless Tether for Root Users, and the native Hotspot app all result in me and you all out there losing a data connection. The fact that some people have not noticed a problem tethering can be explained: they don't use it enough, if you game, you WILL notice it eventually, or if you stream radio, eventually it'll kick you off. They put this into effect after the July OTA that took our free tethering away so we couldn't just reject the OTA and carry on with out blissful free tethering ways.

So we need to get this message to the right developers out there, perhaps we can setup an app or a file that we can install through Clockwork Recovery that can block IP addresses other than our phones' to Verizon's network.

Last edited: