Buying new PC, what should I get HP,Gateway,Dell

Imprisoned

Reaction score
My home PC bit the dust and I'm about to buy a new PC tonight or tomorrow. What brand is the best between HP,Gateway,and Dell? I don't know how to build a PC or I would. I had a Gateway I got in 2008 and it lasted until last week, if it would have lasted until April it would have been 4 years

I guess 4 years isn't too bad, but there support sucked, and I know Dell has terrible support, know nothing about HP. I'd love to have a Alienware but can't afford those plus there Dell owned now. Anyway thanks for any advice.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Building a computer is easy, I was clueless and just built a power house/speed demon for around $1,200 - got everything from newegg a few weeks back and followed the directions that came with the products - plus I got a little help from some online guides/videos

If I would have bought a factory model I would have gotten it from Dell though :)

nikecar

Reaction score
You can get a Mercedes that ends up a lemon, yet your neighbor has a Mazda that lasts forever.

I've used all those brands and they've all done well. I'm on a Gateway tablet PC from 2007 and its working fine.

The thing with any electronics is to take care of them. Sure you may get some parts that fail, but if you take care of it, they should lat longer.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I used a Dell from 2008-2010, then a HP from then to now. I still prefer Dell.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Insidious

Reaction score
Build one lol. You wont regret it. usually a neighbor or a friend has experience and can help I you. If you want the best of the best get an iMac. If you just want a midrange PC that you don't have to worry about get an Asus. Asus rocks :b.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I say get a Dell or HP. But that's my preference. My old dell laptop a 2006 Inspiron E1505 is still kicking. Windows crashed on it once but that was due to my not having virus software. I have heard plenty of bad things about Gateway and we used to have one way back which wasn't all that great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Insidious

Reaction score
I say get a Dell or HP. But that's my preference. My old dell laptop a 2006 Inspiron E1505 is still kicking. Windows crashed on it once but that was due to my not having virus software. I have heard plenty of bad things about Gateway and we used to have one way back which wasn't all that great.

Hp is good but dell tech support SUCKS. Honestly, Asus makes some really good products. Powerful, priced reasonably, and they're pretty good quality. If the OP wants the best of the best, like I said earlier; imac, build, or even a dell xps.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Dells tech support.

I do agree with building a PC as it's cheaper than buying a new one from a manufacturer. Imacs are great for every day tasks but gaming they are not. Also they have limited options and are quite expensive for basic computing.

mikespe

Reaction score
I've built a few desktops, had a Dell XPS M140 Laptop and currently on a Gateway NV53A...I'm loving the Gateway but ZI've only had it just about over a year now. I haven't needed Gateway's support but I did with Dell & they suck! I'm thinking about converting the old Dell to a Chromebook just to check out the new Chrome OS...I have an HP printer but that's about it with them. Out of the 3 I would go Gateway (I believe they are owned by Acer which make pretty good computers & tablets)...good quality devices IMHO

Insidious

Reaction score
I've built a few desktops, had a Dell XPS M140 Laptop and currently on a Gateway NV53A...I'm loving the Gateway but ZI've only had it just about over a year now. I haven't needed Gateway's support but I did with Dell & they suck! I'm thinking about converting the old Dell to a Chromebook just to check out the new Chrome OS...I have an HP printer but that's about it with them. Out of the 3 I would go Gateway (I believe they are owned by Acer which make pretty good computers & tablets)...good quality devices IMHO

Yeah its a shame they're no good for gaming because they pack radeon 6970's and an i7.

csf101

Reaction score
HP and Dell are good choices. I've had good experiences with both brands. I've had terrible luck with Gateways however.

Sent from my Milestone X using DroidForums