Buying a Used Droid?

peteystreet

Reaction score
hey guys,

I got a question before i do something stupid. I have verizon and i want to buy a motorola droid. Some guy is selling his on craigslist. My question is if i buy this phone and it was lost or stolen. Is there any way i can get it activated? because i dont want to buy a preown phone from someone who stoled it and not be able to activate it. Thanks for any help.

gruve

Reaction score
Ask the guy why he is selling it, also ask if he has original box and sales receipt. Tada.

Million

Reaction score
Get the ESN from him and check and verify to see if its working.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get the IMEI number from the phone and call VZW to check if it's stolen or not. If the seller won't provide, it's probably stolen :)

the5rivers

Reaction score
Yeah definitely get an ESN number from him and check it with VZW. Like the above poster said, if he is unwilling to give it then that raises suspicion.

Also, try ebay. Thats where I bought my Droid, brand new. PM me if have any questions.

OP
P

peteystreet

Reaction score
ok, the guy isnt replying so im guessing its a scam. Thanks guys! i wanna buy it off ebay, but its too expensive $400-500

jeremiahm

Reaction score
I'm on my second original droid. The first one had some issues with the charging port loosening up to the point where a charger wouldn't fit anymore. So, they replaced that one with a new one, but it's a refurbed one. The first one had an issue just starting to happen right before they replaced it. This second one is now doing the same thing, but to the point where it's unusable. It's basically acting like a ghostman has his fingers on the screen and moving things around, pushing buttons, jumping the screen around, whatever. I can't get it to stop, and I'm thinking that the digitizer has went bad.

I need a new phone. I'm not one to want the latest and greatest, and this phone has served me well when it worked. I'd be happy with another one. Well, as you probably already know, original droids are going for almost nothing on the internet auction sites. I'll probably just pick up one there, but my question is, "What is the deal with 'locked' and 'unlocked' phones there?" Do I need an 'unlocked' phone, or what do I need to do to unlock an locked one? Is all this talk just selling jargon? Can't I just buy a phone there, and then take it to the verizon store and get my number put on it and my stuff switched over for a nominal fee? Please help.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't have to go into a store. As long as the ESN is clear, you can simply log into your account online, do "activate or switch device", put in the ESN of the new phone, activate it... then on the new phone, dial *228.

If it's a new 4G/LTE phone, you'll have to pick up a SIM card at Best Buy or VZW (free at VZW, but they require activation in store).

jeremiahm

Reaction score
What's a sim card? Is that the same as my SD card? If not, can't I take the SIM card out of my existing phone and place it into the new/used phone if I buy the same model phone?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The sim card is sort of your phone identifier and connects you to the 4G/LTE network on Verizon... before the LTE/4G phones, Verizon didn't use them - and still doesn't on the 3G only phones.

Your original Droid won't have a sim card in it... unless, you're overseas (which just hit me as a possibility?).

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I always recommend you meet the seller at a store where the esn can be immediately verified. If it's good, let them activate the phone for you right then. You can then pay the previous owner. I've heard too many horror stories about esn's that were verified good at time of sale, but then failed when new owner tried to activate. I guess this happens when the old owner doesn't pay the bill or the phone is reported stolen or some such??

Good luck.