Build.prop edits = great battery life + fast phone + full market

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
[UPDATED] Build.prop edits = great battery life + fast phone + full market

UPDATED 9/4​

Ok, so I went through the build.prop tonight and tried a few things out. I figured I'd just post all of my edits for you guys to try and use also. Here goes...

I am listing the changes one by one w/ descriptions, as well as providing all the mods rolled up into a single build.prop which will be posted at the end of these directions. Enjoy :)

To make the phone ring faster when dialing out, I changed

ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=3000

to

ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=1000

Now the phone rings pretty much instantly when dialing out.

To enable better scrolling speed through lists, I changed

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=55

to

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=60

Scrolling through the app drawer and contacts and any lists really is now smoother

Now, to save battery by decreasing the amount of time Wifi looks for an access point, I changed

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 60

to

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 90

Now wifi will scan once every 1.5 minutes when not around a known location instead of once every minute which will save battery.

I also changed the Dalvik VM heap size from

dalvik.vm.heapsize=30m

to

dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m

I remember doing this on my Eris and I was able to run JIT w/ sense enabled (which was a major hassle at the time) So I'm only assuming it will help performance on the X also.

To change LCD Density (How much is displayed on screen) visit my other build.prop mod page

Here -- Droid Life Forum • View topic - [MOD] LCD Density - DIY! - Droid X

And To fix your 2.2 market to display all apps Go

Here -- Droid Life Forum • View topic - [FIX] - 2.2 Market Issues - Show All Apps

I changed the ro.build.fingerprint to...

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2/FRG01B/45394:user/release-keys

That is the Droid 2 market fingerprint, allowing us to see all the protected apps in the market since google does not have Droid X's 2.2 market activated. Genius, Genius I tell you. :)

Now for everything listed here all rolled up into one single build.prop, including the LCD mod AND the Market fix, download this
build.prop]

If you do not like or want to use the LCD Density mod, use this build.prop. Everything else is included except LCD Density
build.prop

Install using any method of your choice
Method 1 - ADB

1. Download
2. Put the build.prop in your android-sdk\tools folder
3. Connect your phone via usb, make sure it shows up with adb devices
4. adb remount (or whichever way u prefer to mount ur system)
5. adb push build.prop /system/build.prop
6. adb reboot

Method 2 - Root Explorer

1. Copy the build.prop to the root of your SD card
2. Long press on build.prop
3. Select "Copy"
4. Navigate to /system
5. Click R/W in the top right corner
6. Paste, and overwrite
7. Reboot

I'd also like to add, that my battery life is AMAZING.

Enjoy :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED BUILD.PROP

Ok here are a few updates.

To enable the hard key lights to stay on while the screen is on and not timeout, I changed

ro.mot.buttonlight.timeout=1
to
ro.mot.buttonlight.timeout=0

Thanks 928Droid

To make the phone come off of the "black screen" in the middle of, or the end of phone calls when you pull the phone away from your face, I changed

mot.proximity.delay=450
to
mot.proximity.delay=150

The delay is almost no longer NOTICEABLE at all. (It was very annoying to me personally)

*Note - this will not include the lcd density mod, but everything else mentioned on this post included. Thanks guys! Enjoy

UPDATED Build.Prop

Beesley on IRC
I'm currently unemployed and Donations Are always appreciated. I'll take this down as soon as I'm hired. If you dont have any money, and I've helped you... then just pay it forward and help someone else. Its the non selfish attitudes that our community has that makes it the best one around. Viva La Android

hacku

Reaction score
You can also edit the build.prop file right on your Droid X using Root Explorer. I had one with the media.stagefright hack and was able to edit it right on the phone. Just required a reboot after.

Good info man. Thanks...

OP
L

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
You can also edit the build.prop file right on your Droid X using Root Explorer. I had one with the media.stagefright hack and was able to edit it right on the phone. Just required a reboot after.

Good info man. Thanks...

You're welcome. The Root Explorer method is listed up there, under "Method 2" though :)

But if you're talking about the longpress, and open in text editor, i left that out cuz this is a lot of edit, and can get kind of hairy editing so much at one time that way. And I dont want ppl yelling at me cuz they missed a letter or something :)

hacku

Reaction score
But if you're talking about the longpress, and open in text editor, i left that out cuz this is a lot of edit, and can get kind of hairy editing so much at one time that way. And I dont want ppl yelling at me cuz they missed a letter or something :)

Yeah, that's what I meant... ;)

Thanks again.

EDIT:

Just tried the LCD density mod, and although it's a great mod in can change the way some things look if you have any custom themes applied to your phone. ;)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thank you for posting this. i was trying to change my build.prop a few nights ago but was looking for something like this. got anything else you can post about? other things we can tweak in here :)

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Great stuff!!

Another one to add that was one of the very few pet peeves with the DX. It drove me nuts that the button LEDs would time out all the time and required a key press to turn them back on. Coming from a Droid 1 this was aggravating, at least for me.

Original:

# BEGIN Motorola, a22976, 21-May-2010, IKSHADOW-5385
# For Shadow only, NOT applied to Droid2 as requirement different
# END Motorola IKSHADOW-5385

Change highlighted in red:

OP
L

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
Great stuff!!

Another one to add that was one of the very few pet peeves with the DX. It drove me nuts that the button LEDs would time out all the time and required a key press to turn them back on. Coming from a Droid 1 this was aggravating, at least for me.

Original:

Good stuff yourself :) I hesitated with this one when I saw it in the build. Had too much going on to research it. Thank you for reporting your results. Would you mind if I gave you credit and added this to the OP? Thanks again.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Great stuff!!

Original:

Good stuff yourself :) I hesitated with this one when I saw it in the build. Had too much going on to research it. Thank you for reporting your results. Would you mind if I gave you credit and added this to the OP? Thanks again.

Not a problem!! Thanks again for the Thread!!

umx

Reaction score
Did this Dalvik VM heap size actually help?

fr3nzy

Reaction score
Nicee work man, i just put it on i love the screen density hack! and everything else is awesomee too

iDroidNow

Reaction score
thanks for the files.

just curious if i have root apps like titanium and wifi tether etc.. do they need to be uninstalled and reinstalled after swapping these out?

also using your fully loaded prop i noticed my quadrant score avg dropped from around 2000 to around 1200? im not sure how much belief i have in that but it def dropped?

thanks

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
thanks for the files.

just curious if i have root apps like titanium and wifi tether etc.. do they need to be uninstalled and reinstalled after swapping these out?

thanks

why would you have to do that?

aklee987

Reaction score
I found that changing the:
mot.proximity.delay=1

Will make the screen turn on/off faster when you take your face away from the screen during calls.

I first what the original value was, somewhere around 150 or something.

it is in two places, right near each other. I changed them both, not sure if I needed to. This is my first droid, so if I've done something incredibly stupid, please let me know.

OP
L

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
mot.proximity.delay=1

Will make the screen turn on/off faster when you take your face away from the screen during calls.

it is in two places, right near each other. I changed them both, not sure if I needed to. This is my first droid, so if I've done something incredibly stupid, please let me know.

You're ok. I'm pretty sure that figure is milliseconds? as long as it works, it works :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
mot.proximity.delay=1

You're ok. I'm pretty sure that figure is milliseconds? as long as it works, it works :)

believe its milliseconds