Brightness less than 0%?

bacchanal

Reaction score
Is it possible, through an app or otherwise, to have brightness below what motoblur calls 0%? Even as low as the settings go there is plenty of brightness, and particularly in low light settings, it would be way better on the battery if you could go less.... I have mine set to 0 all the time with no issues, but my battery leaves much to be desired.

**edit: I discovered that within juice defender ultimate, there is a setting for screen brightness that allows less than 0... Still would be interested in a free option though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I feel the same...screen is way too bright on its lowest setting..I feel this a lot of the reason my battery life is poor on the razr...I tried an app that lowered screen brightness ..I lowered it by 48% below its lowest setting ...I was loving it for about 5 minutes then the screen started getting wierd colors and washing out...I turned the screen dimmer off and it didn't help....a reboot fixed it and I never used the app again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Try screen filter

Yes, Screen Filter is EXCELLENT. Only thing is...BE CAREFUL! If you set the percentage on Screen Filter too high, it will make the screen impossible to see and you'll have a hell of a time even finding the app to reverse it. I run it at 50% and it gives me very nice low-light visibility and saves lots on the battery consumption.

OP
bacchanal

bacchanal

Reaction score
Try screen filter

Wow, this is perfect! Looking forward to seeing if it actually effects battery life, and if so, how much...

Using it at 40.0% with screen brightness set at 0%...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root Dim is another great option, screen filter just puts a filter over your screen giving it the appearance of being dimmer while root dim requires root access and actually lowers your screen brightness

OP
bacchanal

bacchanal

Reaction score
Root Dim is another great option, screen filter just puts a filter over your screen giving it the appearance of being dimmer while root dim requires root access and actually lowers your screen brightness

But the fact that the screen actually is less bright it's the important part, being that the drawing of the pixels is what drains the battery... Right?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% on that, I used screen filter for a few months and when I found Root Dim I was impressed enough to change over, they're both great for what they do - just another option :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Both have the same net effect on power drain. By putting a "filter" on the screen what it does is send an overlying black on the pixels that are otherwise being told to light but it produces the same result - a pixel that is not using as much power since it's not as bright.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm not 100% on that, I used screen filter for a few months and when I found Root Dim I was impressed enough to change over, they're both great for what they do - just another option :)

Don't get me wrong, root is a better way to accomplish the same thing because you have DIRECT control and there's no need for another app running. Root Dim simply sets the brightness levels at the core, and once set, Root Dim is no longer using system resources whereas Screen Shade is running and using a small amount of system resources. So the fact is the combination with Screen Shade at the same net screen brightness will actually use a slight bit more power and system resource, but still far less than either option at 0% brightness.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on root dim.I just loaded it and it doesn't seem to be dimming my screen at all..even on the lowest setting .Not sure if I'm not using it right but i allowed super user ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've always used screen filter. I'll have to try Root dim now though. If tp says to, there must be a reason! :biggrin:

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

Ha, thanks :big smile:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The difference between the two apps is more noticeable on the nexus since it has on screen keys - here's what happens

With screen filter on using it's lowest setting the entire screen goes black minus the on screen keys at the bottom and with root dim the entire screen goes dim (almost to the point of not being able to see it) on screen keys and all which leads me to believe that screen filter doesn't lower the brightness but filters it through a dark colored screen while root dim actually decreases the power supplied to the backlighting of the screen

Root Dim has a lot of settings and a few different toggles you can set up and it can be a bit much at first, but when it's done it makes for a nice addition to the root apps list :)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's a perfect example, when you take a screenshot it doesn't matter how high or low your brightness is, you'll always get the same picture (not a real bright/dim one) when I set screen filter to its lowest it took a picture and produced a black screen with my capacitive keys at the bottom - same screenshot with root dim enabled at its lowest produced a regular screenshot, you couldn't even tell I had the screen dimmed

So screen filter does put a dark mask over your screen while root dim actually lowers your brightness settings

Screenshot_2012-01-27-10-20-00.png

Screenshot_2012-01-27-10-21-09.png