Bootstrap or Rom manager?

havvok

Reaction score
I just went from droid rooted to droid x and did the ota update. After I updated i rooted with Z4root. I tried to use bootstrap before rooting but i received an error, so i uninstalled. I then proceeded to root successfully. I downloaded Rom manager from market. I keep seeing instructions to use bootstrap for Rom loads and themes but can i just use Rom manager to get to clockwork? Thanks for any help

Last edited:

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
ROM Manager is good for looking for ROMs and other extras, but to install them correctly you really should use Droid X Bootstrapper.

The reason why is the X's bootloader is locked and DXBS is the best way to get around that for successful installations.

OP
H

havvok

Reaction score
Thank you. I was able to install boot strap after rooting

MrKleen

Reaction score
Bootstrap is required ...

Rom manager is useless ...

Fate0n3

Reaction score
Like stated above Boostrap is a 100% MUST HAVE!!!

Rom Manager does have some things you can do, most like me only use it to rename backup file names. Everything else you will do with bootstrap.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Not useless but not very useful. About all I use it for isnaming a backup before doing one

To re-name my Roms I use Astro file manager. Rom Manager was a must have for the D1, but I can't see any reason for it taking up space on the D2 or X.

maderschramm

Reaction score
Not useless but not very useful. About all I use it for isnaming a backup before doing one

To re-name my Roms I use Astro file manager. Rom Manager was a must have for the D1, but I can't see any reason for it taking up space on the D2 or X.

I think it's fun to browse around and see what roms are available for download too, but yes, pretty useless in the long haul

Growler48

Reaction score
I make all of my backups and restore them thru ROM Manager. I use Bootstrapper for installing all ROMs and .zip files. Both have been 100% reliable.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I make all of my backups and restore them thru ROM Manager. I use Bootstrapper for installing all ROMs and .zip files. Both have been 100% reliable.

When you use rom manager to make a backup are you sure a working backup is really being made?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

When you use rom manager to make a backup are you sure a working backup is really being made?
Very good question. :D

Growler48

Reaction score

Yes, I've restored them several times. I had problems with ROM Manager in the past until I realized you're supposed to flash Clockworkmod Recovery before you use it.