Boot Animation

bustadroid

Reaction score
I am rooted and have a droid 1.
So I recently read about boot animations and how it's soo easy to do so I decided to give it a shot. I downloaded the Droid X animation ( Download: DROID X Boot Animation - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog ) And used these instructions:
1. You have to be rooted in order to do this. (Rooting info here.)
2. Download Root Explorer from the market. (It’s a paid app.)
3. Download the Droid X boot anim: bootanimation.zip
4. If you downloaded via PC, mount your Droid and drop the .zip file onto your SD card.
*DO NOT UNZIP OR RENAME*
5. Unmount your Droid.
6. Open Root Explorer, tap on “sdcard” and locate bootanimation.zip.
7. Long press on bootanimation.zip and choose “Move”.
8. Hit the back button once and locate the “data” folder.
9. Tap and open “data” and then “local”.
*If your /data/local/ folder already has a bootanimation.zip then you can skip to step 11. If it is missing, proceed to step 10. We need to find it!
10. Since you did not have a bootanimation.zip in your /data/local/ folder we need to find it. There is a search function in Root Explorer which can find it. Or, you can navigate straight to /system/media/ which is where I found mine. Once you find it, return to your to your SD card, long press on the bootanimation.zip that you downloaded and select “move” one more time. Now navigate to the folder which is holding your current bootanimation.zip and proceed to step 11.
11. Hit “Paste” which should be an option at the bottom of your screen.
11. If there is already a bootanimation.zip file, let Root Explorer overwrite it.
12. Back out of Root Explorer, reboot your phone, and BAM!
13. Enjoy your first ever Droid X boot animation.

I found and deleted the old bootanimation.zip I found in /system/media/ and pasted the downloaded one to /data/local/

Now when I reboot my phone there is no animation after the M motorola icon. Even getting the old bootanimation back now would make me happy. Help?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am rooted and have a droid 1.
So I recently read about boot animations and how it's soo easy to do so I decided to give it a shot. I downloaded the Droid X animation ( Download: DROID X Boot Animation - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog ) And used these instructions:
1. You have to be rooted in order to do this. (Rooting info here.)
2. Download Root Explorer from the market. (It’s a paid app.)
3. Download the Droid X boot anim: bootanimation.zip
4. If you downloaded via PC, mount your Droid and drop the .zip file onto your SD card.
*DO NOT UNZIP OR RENAME*
5. Unmount your Droid.
6. Open Root Explorer, tap on “sdcard” and locate bootanimation.zip.
7. Long press on bootanimation.zip and choose “Move”.
8. Hit the back button once and locate the “data” folder.
9. Tap and open “data” and then “local”.
*If your /data/local/ folder already has a bootanimation.zip then you can skip to step 11. If it is missing, proceed to step 10. We need to find it!
10. Since you did not have a bootanimation.zip in your /data/local/ folder we need to find it. There is a search function in Root Explorer which can find it. Or, you can navigate straight to /system/media/ which is where I found mine. Once you find it, return to your to your SD card, long press on the bootanimation.zip that you downloaded and select “move” one more time. Now navigate to the folder which is holding your current bootanimation.zip and proceed to step 11.
11. Hit “Paste” which should be an option at the bottom of your screen.
11. If there is already a bootanimation.zip file, let Root Explorer overwrite it.
12. Back out of Root Explorer, reboot your phone, and BAM!
13. Enjoy your first ever Droid X boot animation.

I found and deleted the old bootanimation.zip I found in /system/media/ and pasted the downloaded one to /data/local/

Now when I reboot my phone there is no animation after the M motorola icon. Even getting the old bootanimation back now would make me happy. Help?
You can leave the old bootanimation in the system/media folder, and just put the new bootanimation into the data/local folder and reboot... it will call up the one in the data/local folder first by default...... don't delete the one in the system/media folder.

OP
B

bustadroid

Reaction score
I did, and the boot animation is in the /data/local/ folder. I've tried other boot animations but none work :S

jrmdroid

Reaction score
To get the original bootanimation back you can go to the zip file of the ROM you downloaded and installed and pull out the bootanimation.zip file in the /system/media folder. Then follow your OP again but this time put the file in the /system/media folder.

I have only used the /system/media folder to switch out bootanimation.zip files. I use the adb comands since i have the android sdk on my PC.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I did, and the boot animation is in the /data/local/ folder. I've tried other boot animations but none work :S
My guess would be that the bootanimations aren't being placed correctly in the folder..or... the bootanimation zips are corrupt

Are you placing the bootanimation as is from the download?...meaning that you aren't opening it up, and rezipping it?
Are you extracting it and placing that folder in the data/local folder?

OP
B

bustadroid

Reaction score
My computer automatically unzips them on download so I have been rezipping them, do you think that's the problem?
Edit: It worked once I didn't rezip it. Thank you so much!

randyb69

Reaction score
My computer automatically unzips them on download so I have been rezipping them, do you think that's the problem?

Do you happen to be using a mac? If so, go into safaris preferences, at the bottom there is a bock u can uncheck to keep it from unziping "safe files".

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Glad you got it Bro... yeah rezipping it was the problem, and if you ever did have to rezip again, remember two things...
1. you zip up what's in the bootanimation folder and not the folder itself...
2. and you archive/store the zip, and not compress it.....