Bluetooth Audio quality

kkozma

Reaction score
ROM's that fix bluetooth audio quality?

As is the case with every android phone, the Bluetooth audio quality on these phones stink due to the bitpool being set to low from the factory. Cyanogen fixed this issue for other phones starting with CM6.0 and it worked and sounded awesome on my D1. Obviously there's no CM for the thunderbolt yet, but does anyone know of any roms yet that have set a higher bitpool for bluetooth audio?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

hyatari

Reaction score
Wondering the same thing. Music thru Bluetooth in my car is unlistenable. However my Droid 1 and 2 sounded excellent thru the same bt device. Hoping this can be fixed somehow on the tb.

wysts43

Reaction score
I'm curious what your Bluetooth setup is? I use my TB Bluetooth connected to my Ford F150 sync system and it works great... No sound issues at all. I used my OG Droid the same way and the sound was just as good.... And this was with streaming music using audiogalaxy even. Maybe I don't have as sensitive of ears... Not sure???

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Reaction score
Only real problem i have with bluetooth is the radio is weak. I can't get 15 foot from my phone without loosing signal. My old D1, i could go close to 40 or 50 foot from my phone an still hear clear before it started breaking up.

wysts43

Reaction score
No problem for me there because I can never part with my bolt!

OP
K

kkozma

Reaction score
I'm curious what your Bluetooth setup is? I use my TB Bluetooth connected to my Ford F150 sync system and it works great... No sound issues at all. I used my OG Droid the same way and the sound was just as good.... And this was with streaming music using audiogalaxy even. Maybe I don't have as sensitive of ears... Not sure???

It's a Clarion cx609 aftermarket head unit with built in bluetooth. When using my droid1, the sound quality is a good as it could possibly be. With my thunderbolt, there is a very distinct crackling sound on the highs along with degraded quality in heavily distorted music (ie metal). If I plug in via aux in, out sounds awesome but that defeats the purpose of having bluetooth audio. There is a very lengthy bug report on the android bug tracker.

I am VERY picky when it comes to audio quality, and this is unacceptable. :(

wysts43

Reaction score
That is strange. I have never had any issues with Bluetooth sound quality. Not sure if it might be your stereo?? Again, my Ford sync system is pretty much as good as I've ever heard bluetooth

hyatari

Reaction score
Upper frequencies sound overloaded and just terrible on the tb. Even a person who couldnt care less about audio quality could tell the difference between my droids and tb easily. Using a blubridge bt receiver plugged into aux port in my car. Always sounded good before. Tried several roms/kernels but no improvement.

moosez3

Reaction score

It's a Clarion cx609 aftermarket head unit with built in bluetooth. When using my droid1, the sound quality is a good as it could possibly be. With my thunderbolt, there is a very distinct crackling sound on the highs along with degraded quality in heavily distorted music (ie metal). If I plug in via aux in, out sounds awesome but that defeats the purpose of having bluetooth audio. There is a very lengthy bug report on the android bug tracker.

I am VERY picky when it comes to audio quality, and this is unacceptable. :(

Im sorry to say its either your phone or your head unit.

Let me preface this by noting that I have had the highest quality Audio equipment in the past and I know what good staging and audio dynamics sounds like. Alas I am a full time student now and I dont have a large budget for Car audio and this is my setup:
- Sony MEX-BT2800 (the cheapest one with bluetooth) I got it on sale for 100 at amazon
- Morel Textile Tweeters (soft yet crisp sound)
- HI-VI 3" Midranges
- Polk Midbass
- Phoenix Gold Titanium Elite 12d x2
- Elemental nine.1 x2 for the subs
- Xtant A4004T - Midbass
- Alpine MRP f300 - Mids and tweets

I have a 6 Channel Active Crossover to handle the signals. That all being said I get stellar sound from my bluetooth. Its the not CD quality I got from my Eclipse CD8053 or my Pioneer 880prs running through my active CDT Mids and Highs, but it is definitely good, and there are no signs of crackling for me at all. My setup plays loud, accurate and tight.

Now when I use my MBP to transmit stereo Bluetooth I do hear that crackling noise, but for my rooted D1 and my stock TB no crackling. the TB is WAAY more reliable in the Bluetooth connection staying connected than Any ROM I had on the D1.

OP
K

kkozma

Reaction score
It's not the phone per say or my headunit. It's the bluetooth bitpool setting (think of it as bandwidth). It's set at 32 which is the lowest setting it can be set to. Cyanogenmod upped the bitpool setting to 52 or 53 (can't remember which) starting with CM6.0 which is the highest it can be set to.

I can replicate these exact results with my Droid 1 by downgrading my ROM to stock or any other ROM that did not change this setting. When I use a stock rom, it sounds like garbage again. Use CM it sounds fantastic.

Also the type of music you listen to has a very large effect on how much this affects your sound. When I listen to my 80's music pandora station or hip hop stations, it sounds pretty good. In fact this morning I was listening to House of Pain and it sounded pretty awesome and I started to wonder if there had been a silent update sent out. However, when I switched it up to metal, it went downhill FAST and sounded like pure garbage.

Regardless, I'm not here to argue about sound quality, who hears what, and who doesn't. This IS an issue as verfied by the Android bugtracker and I simply want to know if anyone is aware of any roms that have set a higher bitpool setting in the bluetooth stack of the phone.

Last edited:

jasno

Reaction score
Stopped syncing to blue tooth audio Ford Sync

Mine just stopped syncing with Ford Sync I don't know if its the system or my phone I took it to Ford and they ran tests and couldn't figure it out. It was working fine for a month wtf!

moosez3

Reaction score
My bolt did something similar to that. (with my aftermarket deck) It not only stopped bluetooth, but all audio (which is bad when Im on call at the hospital) and needed a reboot, so they sent me a new phone for free. Call customer care, they are good about stuff like that...