Bluetooth A2DP auto connect?

qoncept

Reaction score
I have a BT A2DP receiver in my car and it works just fine, but it won't ever autoconnect. I have to go in to BT settings and manually connect to it. Is there a way around this?

The other issue I'm having is I have the same BT receiver connected to the stereo in my garage, and both of them are listed in my paired BT devices with the same name. Is there a way to change it at all so I can tell which I'm using?

Here's the BT receiver I'm using
Bluetooth to RCA, Fits ALL Car Stereo AUX IN, IPOD MP3 - eBay (item 270337523490 end time Jan-25-10 02:25:00 PST)

jrfarrar

Reaction score
I have the same issue...and after following your link possibly the same device. Mine is listed as the "Anycom BAR-10". It looks identical to the link you posted except rather than having the hardwires for the car mine has a plug and came with an adapter to use in your house or a cig plug for the car.

Either way...it paired fine. But will never "auto connect" when I get back in the car. I have to go into settings and click on it to "connect". Then it works fine.

With all the new bluetooth stuff out there I'm hoping there will be an app soon similar to wefi that will allow you to choose preferred BT devices and auto "connect" to them when they are around....here's to hoping!

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I have a blakberry bluetooth gateway on my car stereo, and about 10% of the time my droid wont connect to it and I have to do it manually. Im not sure the exact reason, but it sounds like the droids have a little bit of a sketchy A2DP connection.

edit:
Im going to downgrade my connection to only about 50% of the time. I really hate how poorly my droid connects to my blackberry gateway

Last edited:

jrfarrar

Reaction score
From what I've been researching it sounds like something is going on and maybe it's just not the best implementation. That's why I'm hoping someone can write an app that just goes around the mechanism. Plus with an app you can set parameters on which device and when you want to connect to.

Trek6500mt

Reaction score
I'm not alone I see. But how is it just us 4 are talking about this? Nobody else use there phones and BT for music?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/25276-bluetooth-request-dongle-help.html

I use my Droid mainly for music. I'm not Bluetooth just yet, I haven't found a good head unit yet. Right now I'm connected via the auxiliary input of my canceled XM receiver, then sending it to 2001 stock Ford f150 stereo. Works great, just looks like crap.
I wonder if there is a way to hook to the rear of my stock head unit.

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
I ended up buying a Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway (blackberry bluetooth gateway - Google Product Search) just to see, and it DOES autoconnect. It looks like the unit I got on ebay doesn't broadcast or something, so the phone won't automatically see it. Not really sure why it behaves that way.

Now that the Blackberry gateway is in my car, I'm planning on wiring the ebay unit up to a 12v DC adapter and hooking it up to the receiver in my living room.

Trek6500mt

Reaction score
Are you guys using these devices to save on not having to purchase a whole new head unit? Or is this the only way to truly Bluetooth music from the Droid to your car stereo?

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
There are a few head units that have integrated BT, and several more (including mine) that have BT upgrade kits. The one for mine was $180 (the head unit itself was only $150!), vs $15 I paid for the ebay BT and $30 I ended up paying for the Blackberry one.

So, yeah, it was to save money. Also, my head unit has iPod controls which I use more than my Droid. Finding one that has everything I want would be a pain. I am missing hands free calling, so maybe I'll move all of this to my other car and get an all-in-one head unit eventually.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I have a Blackberry BT Gateway and I'm having problems with autoconnect, sometimes. It's kind of a pain. I love music over BT, I just wish the unit would always autoconnect. It seems to work better if I have BT on on the phone, and then turn on the car (thus turning on the BT gateway). If you turn on the car, then the phone's BT, it doesn't autoconnect. And these rules don't always hold true either. Has anyone tried a higher end model of BT gateway, or at least a Kensington, Motorola, or Schorshe? I'm hoping our supposed savior v2.1 will make mods to the Droid's BT, but haven't heard much about it, other than the occasional rant on voice dialing.

OP
Q

qoncept

Reaction score
I had some issues but keeping BT on on the phone seemed to fix it. It'll autoconnect almost all the time now.

drewfuss

Reaction score
I have a Blackberry BT Gateway and I'm having problems with autoconnect, sometimes. It's kind of a pain. I love music over BT, I just wish the unit would always autoconnect. It seems to work better if I have BT on on the phone, and then turn on the car (thus turning on the BT gateway). If you turn on the car, then the phone's BT, it doesn't autoconnect. And these rules don't always hold true either. Has anyone tried a higher end model of BT gateway, or at least a Kensington, Motorola, or Schorshe? I'm hoping our supposed savior v2.1 will make mods to the Droid's BT, but haven't heard much about it, other than the occasional rant on voice dialing.

I have the 2 new Belkin BT dongles and 2 Schorshe iPod Dock adapters. They work perfect with the BlackBerry when talking about the auto connect.

http://eimages.ecost.com/prod/6835000/6835546_lg.jpg

They are pretty much the same as the BB Gateway, I think it takes less of a power draw..

Reaction score
I still have XM (I know this is so 2000ish) but stumbled across this topic. I currently have a BlueAnt Supertooth3 for my Droid. It is an awesome unit that I had prior to the Droid and works great with the phone part. Am also a fan of Pandora although Pandora was much better on the Pre as it let you go backwards and approve songs that you liked but were not sitting at the phone to approve, the Droid doesn't that I can see.

Anyhow, will something like this work through my stereo (factory 09 GM stereo with an input thing)? I'd like to not have to use the BlueAnt and just use car speakers without any cords hanging.

Thanks for any info.

sheriffwoody

Reaction score
I just got the BB Gateway and hooked it up to a cigarette lighter that was key on only. I can only get the droid to connect 20% of the time. The droid will mute its speaker and show it is sending the music to BT, but no music plays :-( The droid will either show the Gateway as paired but not connected, or paired and connected but still no music. Cycling the power on/off to the Gateway doesnt ever really help. Most of the time It never works, but of course if I manualy connect them using a 3.5mm jack, the music will play, just not over bluetooth.
Did I get a bad gateway? Its so bad its not even useful.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I just got the BB Gateway and hooked it up to a cigarette lighter that was key on only. I can only get the droid to connect 20% of the time. The droid will mute its speaker and show it is sending the music to BT, but no music plays :-( The droid will either show the Gateway as paired but not connected, or paired and connected but still no music. Cycling the power on/off to the Gateway doesnt ever really help. Most of the time It never works, but of course if I manualy connect them using a 3.5mm jack, the music will play, just not over bluetooth.
Did I get a bad gateway? Its so bad its not even useful.

How is your BB Gateway connected to your stereo?