BlueDrone Nissan GTR RC Car Piloted by you and your Android Smartphone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bluedrone-sg-android-controlled-rc-car.jpg

If you are like many Android users, you are just a big kid at heart, or at least a gadget-freak. Here's an interesting "toy" that may attract your eye, and it is quite literally that... a toy. But what sets this particular Nissan GTR Remote Controlled Car, designed by BlueDrone, apart from the rest is that its controller is your Android smartphone! Here's a quote from the SlashGear article with a full description of this little "time-killer",
The controls for the car are only through an Android app that connects to the car with Bluetooth. The app will allow the smartphone accelerometer to control the car by turning and there are onscreen controls too. The car is 1:20 scale and is made to look like a Nissan GTR. It has a 30-foot wireless range and can pair with up to eight smartphones. Power for the car comes from three AAA batteries and the car measures 8″ x 3.2″ x 2.75″. The phone or tablet has to be running Android 2.1 or higher to run the app.
Interestingly, it appears that this great little idea is being funded using the entrepreneurial website, Kickstarter.com. The car and app will only sell for $59 bucks, but the company, BlueDrone needs to raise $200,000 in pre-order capital in order to get the project off the ground. The website indicates that this project will only be funded if at least $200,000 is pledged by Sunday Aug 14, 11:00pm EDT. They have 47 backers and over $3k collected already, but only 25 days left to move forward. Obviously, we don't officially endorse it, but it looks intriguing enough to share with you, and let you decide. What do you guys think?

Source: SlashGear and KickStarter

g_what

Reaction score
It looks pretty badass (not to mention that the GTR is one of my favorite cars), but I am not planning to buy it.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
As much as I'd love to have that, it's just too out there for me. The skyline series' successor is pretty awesome by any standard.

Sent from a cyanoblurred Droid 2 Global

matt2783

Reaction score
I love the GTR but I know I'd play with this for 5 mins and never touch it again. The helicopter that could be controlled by an iphone app was much cooler, although much more expensive as well.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I think this would be better if there was a camera in the car and you could see the video stream on your phone while controlling the vehicle.

rcjames

Reaction score
Nah I had real radio control cars witch have things seperate like receiver, esc, lipo battery, servos. If they used a real rc car then I would like this. Price just tell you its just another toy r us type of cars. I'll pass. I like the helicopter one much better there things to tweak.

rcjames

Reaction score

rcjames

Reaction score
Most likely if you have issue you cant go to a local hobby store to buy parts.

rcjames

Reaction score
This is superb. How much does it usually cost?

Dude buy a real rc car. Like one below that can go over 50 miles per hour. This android rc car goes probably 15-20 miles. It's a toy. Get a aduilt rc car.

[video=youtube;yEP8P1wh-e8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEP8P1wh-e8]‪jato high speed wheelie‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

rcjames

Reaction score
Oh and the vid I posted. Has a automatically 2 speed tranny. :) Hear it shift!